cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up of the packet loss issues

Hiks

Fed up of the packet loss issues

A little before Christmas it ran for 2 weeks or so, just lots of packet loss. Did some reading on the forum to see it was a widespread issue and plusnet stated that they knew of the issue and were fixing it so I waited it out.

Past month or so its been great, no complaints. This week however is back to packet loss. I can't seem to get off the gateway I'm on and the one time it connected to another the connection dropped after 15 minutes.

I'm going to switch provider, can anybody who knows inform me so I don't end up with something similiar and an 18 month contract.

I'm guessing BT would just be the same being the provider for Plusnet or am I wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Fed up of the packet loss issues

What gateway are you on?

Not widespread reports of packetloss some but not much, so more likely you are on a hot svlan. That's same for all btw isps.

Try running a Speedtest using the btw speedtest site. At the test 3 where you log onto the btw network before you run the Speedtest runabcontinuous ping and see if that gives packetloss.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Not widespread reports of packetloss some but not much, so more likely you are on a hot svlan. That's same for all btw isps.

I think what is concerning is the number of topics in this forum from people reporting problems with their PN connections and PN seem to be doing nothing more than getting OR Engineers sent out. Even if the problems are not PNs fault (although I'm sure a lot of them are) it would be nice if PN admitted there were problems and they were actively trying to get it sorted out.

If so many svlans are hot then PN should be pushing back and telling BT that this just isn't good enough...

But then again when PN, along with most common ISPs is on a race to the bottom in terms of pricing then its hardly surprising that their service is degrading...

MrSilver
Pro

If I look back recently we had latency to multiplay and i3d that go raised and fixed without sending or engineers.

We had core packetloss that yes too a while to be accepted but seems fixed without or etc

Svlans are up to 1000 users I think, across all isps, so as some of them upgrade to fttc or use more bandwidth they get full. Btw have a report of under near and congested. Think congested they aim to never hit but who knows how many will watch trump get sworn in and hit peaks etc. But even then they move people rebalance within a couple of days.

We really need people to be running the btw Speedtest right to the end as test3 is really key proving a btw/pn fault which will hopefully get us fixed quicker.

If I get time I might try and rewrite the sticky on connection problems of what info helps people here diagnose the problem.

From some of the pms I've had I know pn are active in the background but in some threads where it's not being fixed past enough I don't blame them for not wanting to post with the language being used - liars, dishonest, incompetent etc. Yes people will say it's their job to fix - and I agree it is - but put your name in a thread and you take the brunt of it ( that's usually bob!!)

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Perhaps if PN posted more actively  and didn't leave customers guessing , with lack of information  

maybe just maybe  customers would be inclined to believe them  

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
MrSilver
Pro

In the good old days they could, I suspect now if they said "we found a problem and are working on it with our vendors but we think it will be a month to fix" then everyone is demanding refunds etc.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I'd rather they admitted there were problems rather than do what they're apparently doing now which looks totally defensive...