Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty router ?

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Faulty router ?

HI i think i may have a faulty router  it dropped session at 8pm today and wouldn't connect back up, I rebooted  the router it didn't works so I tried a factory reset but nothing it wouldn't get the session back , I turned the router off completely for a bit and it worked it has taken me until now to get back online, at first I thought maybe the line had died again but it's fine.  
I did try calling support via phone to get help but had to hang up after 58 mins no one picked up and i get billed after an hour so wasn't going to wait any longer  Sad
@CRT Does this sound like a faulty router I have no other router to test or use so if it is i need one ASAP in case this goes again, if it is faulty can a new router be sent and  is there a cost to this and how much ? thanks for any help.  
Edit for more info - oh i thought i would say the router i have is the plusnet Technicolor TG582N which i had since fibre was installed March 2014. 
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Faulty router ?

if you're a PN customer then the support call is free no matter how long, plus there is an 0800 number.
Did the router get very hot? Could have over heated.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Terranova667
Pro

@dvorak Yeah i am a plusnet customer for phone service, i thought the 1hr rule still applied ok for next time i know it doesn't,  but still almost 1 hr without support answering the call is way too long.
as for the router it does feel pretty warm to the touch although  the vents around it are clear and it's on a wooden desk but maybe it is still over heating i dunno.  
Terranova667
Pro

Anyone on the CRT care to comment on whether it needs replacing ?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Honestly it's pretty hard to tell if a router needs replacing, one outage may be annoying an inconvenient but doesn't really point the finger anywhere.
As it's out of the 12 month warranty period if you wanted one from us it'd likely mean agreeing to a new contract and paying the P&P fee.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Terranova667
Pro

I'm already in a start of a new 18 month contract so i'm not about to do another one just to get a replacement router , i'll look into getting my own if the plusnet one continues to drop sessions like it did last night.