cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty Modem (BT Openreach)

elvenmunky
Dabbler

Faulty Modem (BT Openreach)

Hi I have been with Plusnet for about 3 years. Cannot fault the service and speeds so thanks but my white modem is really faulty. The power cable is really fragile and any little nudge disconnects it so its very loose. I already have a decent router Asus N66U so I don't want to replace both the router and modem. Does anyone know how I go about this?
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Faulty Modem (BT Openreach)

you'd need to raise a fault and get an engineer out to replace it, unless PN have some lying around.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shure
Grafter

would they really send an engineer out just to plug another one in?
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

for the time being Yes because Openreach own them and are responsible for them hence why the engineer brings it during install,  this will change however in early 2016 when openreach will no longer do this and Plusnet will have to find their own Modem solution
Starmans
Grafter

Perhaps PN can mail you out a replacement power adapter.
elvenmunky
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies. I don't actually think it's the cable itself I think it may be the port for it that has become loose. Either way I will raise this with PN.
shure
Grafter

@Terranova67
Yes, I understand they own it, but I should have thought it would be far, far cheaper for OR to simply send out a replacement modem that pay for an engineer to come round and swap them.  It's not like they would have to do any wiring
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

I believe the reason for the current system is that officially the Openreach modem serves as the demarcation point between the customer and Openreach's network.
This means that legally, you are not actually allowed to touch the modem because it isn't yours to maintain, in the same way that the master socket isn't yours to maintain either (except for the extensions connected to it).
I believe the rules changed a year or so ago so the demarcation point is actually the master socket again (as ISPs can now provide VDSL modem routers, so the Openreach modem isn't needed) but for those ISPs/customers without a combined VDSL modem/router, the responsibility of the equipment is still Openreach's.