Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty IP range

FIXED
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Faulty IP range

I'm now on the 195.213.x.x range of IP addresses and no matter how may time I reconnect the ppp session I just can not get off that range of IP's.

For some reason my VoIP fails to work on this IP range, so I do need to get off it, I'm confident the fault is with the IP's as I've had this issue in the past and changing the IP range has always fixed the problem. Also my VoIP is working over the mobile network just not over this range of Plusnets IP addresses.

If there's a Plusnet rep about can you please get me on a different range of IP.

9 REPLIES 9
npr
Pro

Re: Faulty IP range

Fix

Just paid £5 for a static IP which has got me off that IP range and fixed the VoIP  problem.

🤑

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @npr I'm sorry to see you've had issues with your VoIP service.

Dynamic IP ranges are allocated from a small pool specific to your location, so they're rather 'sticky'. Glad to see you've got this sorted through a static IP, although it's not really got to the bottom of the problem.

When you were unable to connect to VoIP did you get any particular error message?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
npr
Pro

Thanks for the reply:

Not that sticky, got a different IP every time I renewed the ppp -- just always in that range. I have had this before but a reconnect always got me off the range.

Although the static IP has fixed the problem I'm not happy that I had to spend £5 for something I don't really want.

The error message from the VoIP service provider was a voice message first in German then French then English, saying "the number dialled was rejected by the service provider, reason is  480"

I assume the VoIP service provider decided falsely my connection / IP address was not from the UK.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @npr 

If you get a different dynamic IP when you drop PPP you'd generally get a new one from the same range due to how we allocate dynamic IPs and sometimes you can get a completely different range.

From what you've said it does sound like the VoIP provider is thinking your IP isn't based in the UK, I'd probably take that up with them to investigate further. Just to confirm though if you put your IP into a website like https://www.iplocation.net/ is that showing it is UK-based?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
npr
Pro

@Gandalf wrote:

From what you've said it does sound like the VoIP provider is thinking your IP isn't based in the UK, I'd probably take that up with them to investigate further. Just to confirm though if you put your IP into a website like https://www.iplocation.net/ is that showing it is UK-based?

Unfortunately I've been there before,  a few years back when Plusnet had 4 blocks of problem IP's. The VoIP service provider was not helpful then, I suspect a geo-location database was beyond  their supports understanding.

iplocation.net  shows it being in Wales, can you confirm if this problem IP range was originally registered in another country. Also was it recently acquired by PN, It's not one of the 4 problem IP ranges identified a couple of years back.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @npr,

So the geo-location would not hinder anything as they long as they are registered within the UK. Wales is probably where it was first registered.

Thanks.

npr
Pro

The assumption is that this IP block was originally registered in another country and the VoIP service provider is using a very old Geo-location database (as many do).

Can you confirm the block was first registered abroad?

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi npr,

The site below indicates that 195.213.0.0/16 was assigned to Belgium.

https://ipinfo.space/CountryIPBlocks/BE_Belgium.html

Regards

Richard

npr
Pro

Nice find, so plusnet second hand IP's are the root cause.

IPv6..... any time soon??? 🙄