Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty BT Openreach Modem

FIXED
mickb82
Hooked

Faulty BT Openreach Modem

Hi,

Over the last week I have found that my internet connection is not as fast as usual. Today I have been getting around 18mb download speed, I usually get around 43mb.

I have tried replacing all the cables and I have also tested the speeds with my PC connected directly to the openreach modem, this made no difference.

When I was testing the connection directly from the openreach modem I found that if I turned the power off to the openreach modem for around 10 minutes when I power it back up the speeds were back to normal for a few minutes then they would decrease again.

I have dismantled the openreach modem to check the internal components and I found that 2 of the capacitors on the circuit board have started to leak.

Can plusnet send me a new openreach modem or do I need to get in touch with openreach about getting a replacement?

I have attached some pictures showing the 2 leaking capacitors.

Thanks,

9 REPLIES 9
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Faulty BT Openreach Modem

Hello there.

That doesn't sound good, though we wouldn't be able to replace the Openreach modem I'm afraid. Since we introduced the self install process and provided customers with our Hub One, which is a combined modem router, we aren't able to re order the OR modems.

I'm not sure that you would be able to contact Openreach for a replacement, however their modems are available on the web from places like Amazon. Second hand, I imagine and at cost, though.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
mickb82
Hooked

Hi,

If the openreach modems are no longer available how do I go about replacing it with the new type router you mentioned. Can you arrange for one of these to be sent out or do I need to phone customer services to arrange for a replacement to be sent out.

Thanks.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Could you PM me your username please and I'll see what we can offer you?
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@mickb82

Plusnet will charge £100 for a new combined modem/router unless you have just recontracted within the last 3 months then they will just charge for P&P at £6.99. Or you want to contract again. (note the guarantee is only for 12 months on the Hub One but the contract maybe for 18 or 24 months and you could find yourself in the same situation in 14 months time)

Given that the Plusnet Hub One is a rebadged BT Home Hub 5 Type A, you would be better off getting one of those on ebay for about £25 delivered.

Or buy your own new device from elsewhere, a good place to look for which device is http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html as Kitz is a Plusnet customers and very knowledge about communications. That link shows a list of devices and discusses the features of them. It is constantly updated.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
mickb82
Hooked

Thanks for the information

I should hopefully be offered a replacement as I signed up to a new 18 month contract 2 months ago.
dannyboy75
Rising Star

OP - if you prefer to retain your existing router, there are plenty of OpenReach modems on eBay, selling for a few pounds.

Some are Huawei and others are ECI, but to all intents and purposes they're the same. I have both models at home and they work equally well.

nightstalk3r
Rising Star

If you do go down the route of buying another Openreach modem avoid the ECI ones at all cost as they don't support G.INP.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Fix

Thanks for your PM.

As you're within the first 3 months of your contract if you speak with our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting the option for I'm thinking of leaving), we'll be able to offer you the Hub One router free of charge, however they may ask for the postage and packaging of £6.99. That department are open until 8 this evening and currently have no call queue (if you can call now, that is).

mickb82
Hooked

Thanks for your help,

I have contacted the customer options team and they are sending me a new Hub One router in the next 3 to 5 working days.

Thanks.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules