cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fault on Data Extension cable

olib

Fault on Data Extension cable

Hi - I have identified the problem on my line causing no dial tone but am unsure if it for BT to fix it properly or me.

The issue is a short in the data extension cable that is 30m long and runs round the outside of the house.
It was fitted by BT as part of the fibre install 4 yrs ago.

An external inspection revealed no breaks in the cable but two areas of scuffing.

One testing, there is a short between both blue wires which caused the problem - resistance 80 ohms.
I tested the orange pair also and there was a short between them also - 10 ohms.
However there was not a short BETWEEN the blue and and orange pairs.

So my data extension is now wired using Blue/white and White/orange!

This is obviously not a long term solution and with defects in all four strands eventually this will fail.

So as it was fitted by BT is it their problem to rectify (as it was probably damaged/stretched/kinked at install?) or is it my problem as it could have been rodent/mechanical damage and is technically after the face plate?

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Fault on Data Extension cable

How on earth can you prove that a length of external cable installed 4 years ago was damaged during installation?

Cat 5E/6 or telephone cable (whichever it is but the Cat 5E/6 will do either) is as cheap as chips and if you are capable of switching cores around and measure resistance you should be able to change it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

olib

Very true! Wink

So I suppose it falls back to, is a data extension fitted by BT mine to maintain or theirs?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

The demarkation point is in the master socket. If you remove the front section to expose the test socket, that socket is the end of BTs responsibility. I assume that this cable is an extension which should be wired to the front section of the master socket. If so then this makes it your responsibility.. BT simply provided the service of installing this cable for you. It is not however part of 'their' infrastructure. Consequently the responsibility for its maintenance is yours.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'