Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fault - is this plausible ?

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Fault - is this plausible ?

Hi Second post ever.

I signed up for TV to get BT Sport and was told I needed Fibre first. I got a Modem through the Post and was told that connection would be Aug 19. However I got an E Mail from PlusNet on Aug 12 saying I was now connected and so I connected the Modem and on testing the speed it was about 3.3

I contacted PN and they said they had jumped the gun and I WOULD have to wait till the 19th after all. That day came and about 4pm my Modem went off and then came on and off for about an Hour. When it went "blue" finally I left it an hour and tested the speed which was 9 and for the next few days it stayed at 9 with the best 10.17.

I raised a ticket and continued to test the speed periodically with no improvement and even though my Master Socket is in the roof space (I live in a Bungalow) I was asked to connect up there and also by Ethernet and none produced any improvement at all. PN said an Engineer would be needed to identify the problem as there was "interference" on the line and they booked one for today 11 days after my original connection

Last night I went up to the Master Socket with a savvy person and we got 9.9 at best. This morning I noticed the Engineer going by my House towards the Exchange and about 20 minutes later he arrived and went to the Master Socket and having done a Test he came down and said he was getting 24 at that Socket. I was surprised that there was such a jump though it could be due to refined equipment I suppose but is that plausible or explainable ?

Then the Engineer said that my Socket speed downstairs where the Modem lives was still only reading 10 and that it was due to the Phone sockets around my Bungalow interfering with the signal. He disconnected something in the downstairs socket and the Speed he said had gone up to about 14. I have been trying the speed hourly and that's where it has stayed. Again is that explanation plausible and if so could I gain anymore by getting the other sockets disconnected ?. At the moment we have the Master Socket in the Loft and use only 1 more Socket that being where the Modem is downstairs and there is an ASDL Splitter in that with a Phone connected via that. No other Sockets are used

Finally will the Speed learn to go higher and is it worth me continuing with the TV idea because the Speed I was told needed to be at least 15 so if things don't improve I will be short of that. Sorry for such a long set of questions and any help advice would be gratefully accepted. Many thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Re: Fault - is this plausible ?

Update to War and Peace above.

I have tried my Router back upstairs at the Master Socket and in the Test Socket I am getting 24 or 25.

If I try the same Master Socket in conventional way I get a speed of 14 or so whether I have a Phone plugged in downstairs.

I have tried a Phone in all the supposedly dead Sockets downstairs and they do appear dead

This leaves me to wonder the way forward as I cant get the 24 or 25 unless I plug into the Test Socket but that is obviously not ideal as I would have a long long lead to reach the (proposed) Youview + Box and I suspect no phones

One question that may be the answer is I have a Burglar Alarm that rings me wherever I am in the world (yeah right) is someone breaks in. In theory I can then speak to the Burglars via the Control Panel or reset the Alarm etc BUT could this be the cause of the drop as I am suspecting using the Test Socket cuts off that Phone Line as the Alarm "beeps"

In theory without the Alarm connected I get 24 but put the Front back on (Alarm Line reconnected I am guessing) and the speed goes to 14. Does anyone think this could be the problem area ? I have no idea as not for nothing do I call myself "Bamboozled"

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

How is the alarm connected? It should have a filter in the same way as a phone, so plugged in via a splitter (assuming none of the extensions connected are filtered at the master).

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi PeeGee and many thanks for the interest / reply

I am no Techno but I do know there is no Filter fitted in the Master Socket just a wire going into it

The lad (a relative) who fitted the Alarm knows his stuff and has been at all sorts of Alarm CCTV and other related gear all his life but he is coming to try a few things one of which I hope will be disconnecting the Alarm Cable for a start

If that keeps the speed at 20+ downstairs that will be great but I suppose he could fit a Telephone Plug and pop it in the socket ? Hopefully that will keep the speed in the Test Socket and when it is used as a Master Socket

Many thanks JT

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Ah and there is nothing Filtered at that Master Socket (nothing plugged in that is)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

The Alarm is almost certainly wired directly to the faceplate of the master socket. It should have a filter actually in the alarm but that needs checking. You should also check that the ring wire http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm isn't connected at the faceplate as that can cause a drop in speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Final update

My Alarm installer finally back from working abroad called yesterday and amended something Alarm wise splitting the signal with a different Master Socket

Result !   Speed downstairs (its a Bungalow) has zoomed from Avg 13.5 to Avg 19.5 (sorted !!!)

Thanks for all help / advice (still as) Bamboozled (as ever)