cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fault - Fibre connection dropping

infectededen
Grafter

Fault - Fibre connection dropping

For about 10 days now I've been having issues with my connection. Twice it's actually went off completely - first time for 10 minutes and the next time for at least 4-5 hours.
When running a speedtest, it shows the speed dropping to '0'. Running numerous tests while talking to friends on PS4 showed that the drops co-incide with the voice comms dropping. I'm also currently playing destiny which is always online and I lose connection constantly.
Not sure if there is a line problem, or whether it's a router fault?
Guess I just need to open a ticket and have it investigated.
Same problem whether it's wireless or ethernet and router has been reset multiple times and doesn't seem to solve it.
9 REPLIES 9
Twills
Grafter

Re: Fault - Fibre connection dropping

Hi infectededen,
Can't see any speed issues on basic testing this side. Could you raise a fault and follow the instructions on the form ASAP so we can take a look at it.
<a href="https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults"<u>Raise a fault</u></a>
infectededen
Grafter

OK I'll fill that in now and log it.
The overall speed is good, typically around 60-65.
But every now and then (maybe 3-6 times per hour) it just loses connection for only 1 second.
So streams cut out, chat cuts off etc.
I thought it was the Destiny game servers at first, but the drop happens when I stream too and the drop shows up on speed tests - I ran speedtest 20 times in a row and you can see the speed dropping now and then.
infectededen
Grafter

Update
Plusnet test revealed no connection issues so I changed to DMZ and all that stuff - connection has been fine since but the last 2 days it's started happening again.
Last night it cut off completely a few times and this morning the same thing is happening.

here is a screenshot from speedtest just to show the connection failing. I can repeat this test 10 times and on 5 of them the connection will just drop completely
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi infectededen,
Your connection appears very healthy at first glance ...

Normally, I'd therefore put this down to a possible wireless issue, but you've said the same thing happens on both ethernet and wireless. Therefore, I need a little further information to help us to assist.
The tests I've performed suggests that you remain in sync, indeed you remain connected throughput, and that speed is dropping to almost nothing. When the problem is happening, do the sync and internet lights remain lit, go out or flash?
Thanks,
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
infectededen
Grafter

Tony
Thanks for the response.
I'll monitor it and take notice of what the lights are doing the next time it happens.
It's strange that the connection failures do not show up. The lights all went off when the connection failed at the weekend - that was when I ended the session and restarted the router. I was online on PS4 and laptop (both Ethernet at the time) and everyone just went offline suddenly.
Usually, it doesn't go offline - the speed just drops for a second which is enough to stop the stream, kick me out of party chat etc.
I'll move the router out into plain view and see what it does. When I have looked at it though the lights are all flashing most of the time. They are never steady when I look at it - which is mostly just after it's dropped a few times. Obviously when it goes offline completely the internet LED just goes off too. Otherwise, just flashing.

It's sometimes hard to be 100% sure because most of the issue is due to me playing Destiny. This game is 'always online' so if the connection drops, the game goes back to the main menu and indicates a network error has occurred. However, some of these are most certainly the in-game servers crashing as opposed to my connection.
So to test it I usually run a video stream or party chat at the same time - so if one of those fail in sync with Destiny then I know it's my internet.
My PS4 is always via Ethernet. My PC and Laptop run on both wireless and Ethernet - depending on what I'm doing on them as the Ethernet is only temporary when I feel it's necessary.

I stream constantly and have only noticed this problem starting a few weeks ago. For the 2 years or so prior to that I've never had my connection failing and I rated PN stability as 10/10 when asked. Whatever is causing it seems to be somewhat intermittent - which is always a pain to deal with!
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi infectededen,
For testing purposes, it might be worth changing you onto a 'stable' platform on the Wholesale side.
If this doesn't work, or in the unlikely even that it causes problems with gaming, we can always change you back to the default after 24 hours. Let me know if you want me to make the change.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
infectededen
Grafter

Tony
Yes if you think it's worth a try please go ahead and do that.
I'm busy all of this week anyway but I can give it a good run over the weekend to see if anything has changed
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hey infectededen,
I've just put the order through for you, it's set to go through before the end of tomorrow so let us know how things go.
Confirmation is on ticket 92721855
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
infectededen
Grafter

Thanks Adam
I haven't received any problems this week so far. Other than on Sat evening when it was off for 1-2 hours but I believe that was a full service problem for PN according to the automated message when I tried to phone up.
I've been asked in my main ticket to run some other tests so I'll do those too but hopefully this has sorted it out.

I ran a 4-5 hour stream last night of live NHL and it didn't drop or buffer so fingers crossed.