cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster Fibre speeds anticipated.....

Wing

Faster Fibre speeds anticipated.....

Hi All,

First post, just had email from my previous supplier, Sky, informing me from December through to Spring, download speeds increasing from 38mb av. to 63mb av. will Plusnet follow suit? thanks

7 REPLIES 7
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Faster Fibre speeds anticipated.....

Sounds like nonsense sales person talk to me, average speeds are meaningless, your speed is dependent on line length to the FTTC cabinet. Some people may get faster speeds, some won't. Have Sky explained how they are doing this, I would guess by upgrading to 80/20 FTTC which will only help people on shorter lines. I don't expect PlusNet will do anything similar as it would cost them money.Roll_eyes

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Welcome to the forum.

I note that it is the average speed that is quoted. Tha sad fact is that with respect to individual addresses the average speed across the whole network is meaningless. Your line will go as fast as the physical infrastructure, mainly your distance from the fibre cabinet and the quality of the cable between your property and the cabinet enables your individual connection to go. Either that or up to about 78Mbps, or, if you select the cheaper option, 38Mbps.

Edit.

@RealAleMadrid obviously types faster than me!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Wing

Thanks RealAleMadrid, The cabinet is within line of sight from my home and when I moved in 4 years ago Openreach dug up the road to quote " Superfast Broadband. shall just have to wait and see

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I think you're missing the part that Sky are moving  their lower speed tariff customers to the higher speed tariff for free. Yep no extra cost to the consumer.

So some Sky customers are going to see a real speed increase where their line is capable of exceeding the 40Mbps download speed cap currently set for that product.

Wonder if Plusnet will follow?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/10/sky-uk-cuts-fibre-max-price-and-removes-fibre-unlimite...

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Wing

Hi Baldrick1 and Spendlesstime, below is a copy of email, be interesting to see what happens

Hello Nick,
Great news! We're upgrading our network, area by area, to bring you Fibre Max with faster average speeds of 63Mbps at no extra monthly cost.

What happens next?

These upgrades start in December and run through to spring. During this time, you will be moved automatically from Fibre Unlimited with an average download speed of 36Mbps, to Fibre Max with an average speed of 63Mbps. That's 75% faster and you don't need to do anything.

Fibre Max with an average speed of 63Mbps

Do more with average speeds of 63Mbps

Stream movies and music
Download back‑to‑back episodes in almost half the time
Online gaming with friends
Facetime family abroad
Upload photos to Facebook

And don't forget...

1 You still get unlimited usage

2 Our Tech Team is trained to resolve problems online and on the phone

3 Sky Broadband Shield helps control your family's onlineexperience – at no extra cost

Some important information

We'll contact you once we've successfully boosted your broadband speed. You might experience a short interruption (a few minutes) to your service while we boost your speed. 

You can check your current speed and manage your broadband by logging into your Sky Account or using the My Sky app. There will be no change to your monthly cost for broadband. You can check your monthly bill at any time by logging in to sky.com/mysky with your Sky iD. 

If you would prefer us not to move you to superfast Fibre Max, please let us know within 30 days of the date of this letter by calling 0333 ‌759 ‌4685. If you have any further questions please see our handy FAQs for more information by visiting sky.com/faster

Find out more

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

It's interesting that they're upgrading customers for free but presumably only until their contract runs out. My guess is that for new subscribers those only capable of receiving say 30Mbps will be paying the 80/20 price, so the advantage may be short lived and in the long term cost more. Of course they might keep a 40/10 legacy product going for existing customers incapable of receiving the faster service, but then I wonder whether those capable of the faster speed will have a choice whether they're bumped up and lose the slower, cheaper option when they come to re-contract.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Wing

Hi Baldrick1, I`m happy with Plusnet so far 40mb is fine for my needs but lets see , thanks again