Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster Connection

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Faster Connection

I am currently on Unlimited Broadband, but I would like to move to Unlimited Broadband Extra.

My cabinet is 1.5km from my property, there is a closer one, 500m away.

If I choose to go to  Unlimited Broadband Extra will I be moved to this closer cabinet, or is there some other technology used?

4 REPLIES 4
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Faster Connection

Have you had a look at what speeds BT thinks you can get here. Your projected speeds may not make it worthwhile upgrading.

It's unlikely they would swap your cabinet.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Strat

Hi

That site shows my current status for my line, the one 1.5km away.

It sounds like I am stuck with this cabinet, thanks to the BDUK & OR decision.

However an OR linesman told me while his was working on my cabinet he was moving lines from my cabinet to the other one,

to speed up consumers speeds, therefore  if I requested the faster service via PN would that possibly involve a cabinet change? (Yes they do happen regardless of what OR state)

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @dws1900

Thank you for your enquiry.

In terms of re-locating your services to a new cabinet box, we would not be able to request this with our suppliers Openreach.

Should there be a fault with your local cabinet box which is disrupting your services and not enabling you to receive your guaranteed minimum access line speed, we can then raise this fault with Openreach. One of the options they may look into is locating your services to a different cabinet point.

I would advise what @Strat has informed you. It is worth checking www.dslchecker.bt.com/ to see if there any changes in speed you can receive at your premises.

Should you require any further assistance, please do get back in touch with us.

Many thanks.

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Interesting thread..  a couple of questions please...

How accurate is that BT availability checker? I ask because according to that, my maximum connect speed should be around 47 Mbps, but I am connected at just over 60 Mbps without any problems. What are they basing their figures on? Is it just an average of consumer speeds connected to that cabinet?

And..  for my number, FTTP is showing as being available at 330 Mbps. What is the current status of FTTP with PN? Is it available generally?