cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Speed but Slow Buffering - Can anyone help?

nxcoldn

Fast Speed but Slow Buffering - Can anyone help?

Hi all,

I've been with Plusnet since May and so far no issues. However over the past couple of months I've been having issues with streaming various content. I initially noticed it on my iPhone where I'd try and watch a video and it would load the first 3-5 seconds then buffer - to fix this I had to toggle the wifi off which fixed the issue.

Since then the issue has spread across many of our wifi devices. My Apple TV is starting to buffer when streaming whether that be content from Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. It's becoming incredibly frustrating because I'm unable to diagnose what's going on. I could do with some help trying to work out whether its the wireless in my house or whether something in the line is wrong. 

Here's some stats from the router:

4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:47:02
6. Data rate: 9468 / 45478
7. Maximum data rate: 9467 / 45506
8. Noise margin: 6.0 / 3.4
9. Line attenuation: 27.2 / 24.5
10. Signal attenuation:

27.2 / 22.0

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:49:08
Downstream: 45.48 Mbps
Upstream: 9.468 Mbps

Does this look normal? I'm on the Fibre Ultra package with estimated line speed of 39 Mbps? Unfortunately I don't own any devices apart from my skybox that uses Ethernet so I am unable to do a speediest via Ethernet.

3 REPLIES 3
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Fast Speed but Slow Buffering - Can anyone help?

It may be worthwhile having a look at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/ to see if it helps.

One other thought: you have the latest hub. It broadcasts wifi on two frequencies. There have been reports here that (particularly Apple) kit can get confused and keep switching from one frequency to the other, usually dropping the connection to the phone rather than buffering. But I wonder if that is what is happening on your system?

If that is the problem, then the solution (from @neilgl on another thread) is: log in to the hub and go to Advanced Settings (password from back of router); then "5Ghz Wireless" settings; change the "Sync with 2.4 GHz:" to No (it is Yes by default); and change the SSID to a different name to the 2.4Ghz SSID; click Apply

nxcoldn

Thanks @BrightonRock for the response! I've actually disabled the 5ghz network as like you say I found it interfered with the connectivity on my devices. I've ordered a BT Smart Hub so I'm looking forward to testing that out as I think it could be my wireless network.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. Sorry to hear you're experiencing buffering issues.

This type of issue is usually caused by WiFi. Let us know how it goes when you've got your new router.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet