Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fall in speed

FIXED
fred77
Rising Star

Fall in speed

Hello.

My normally very stable fibre speeds have deteriorated over the last few days, not massively but enough to give me concern.

Always got about 6 mbps up and about 38mbps down. Now showing 3.47 mbps up and 34.05 down. 

These are the relevant stats from my router.......

3.79 Mbps / 34.05 Mbps

5991 / 44208

12.6 dB / 6.1 dB

25 dB

The Noise Margin has changed from before when I always got 6db /6db and the down figure would get lower over a few days, e.g. down to approx 4 mbps. ( I think that is considered to be good.) Obviously now the "up" figure is not right and I think, but am not sure, that it is because there may be some noise on my line. 

My router is plugged directly into the BT Master Plug and we have no extensions. It would appear that the fault is outside my property. Can this be checked by PN in some way? If so please do so and let me know what may be causing this drop in speed.

Many thanks,

John

19 REPLIES 19
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Fall in speed

Sorry to hear that your speeds have dropped slightly.

We've tested your line and it's showing what's known as a 'Copper Impairment' fault close to your premises.

This would need an engineer to visit the property if you want to progress this as a fault.

If you do just raise the fault here and then post back so we can get this picked up for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
fred77
Rising Star

Hi.

I have chatted with [CSA Removed] at PN who told me I already had an outstanding fault ticket from last January which should have been closed!! As a result he couldn't raise another fault ticket until that one was closed. He informed me that that would  happen last night or today and that PN would notify BT of my problem. He also said that he would contact me by email to confirm this. As of this evening I have not had a confirmation email and that concerns me that my fault has not been passed to BT to rectify. My speeds are deteriorating and I am beginning to think this could develop into a bit of a situation. Let's hope not.

Could a PN Team member please check and see whether all is well and that BT will get onto this soon?

Many thanks,

John, (fred77)

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi John.

Sorry to hear the adviser didn't follow up.

I've checked your account and it looks like there are no open tickets now.

As the fault we're detecting requires an engineer visit, I'd recommend raising a fault to us via the link my colleague has provided above. If you drop us a message over here once you've done so we'll be happy to pick this up and arrange the visit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
fred77
Rising Star

Hello Gandalf,

Thanks for contacting me about this.

I have just reported the fault to the Troubleshooting page.

Perhaps you could keep an eye on things and let me know how they are progressing. I would appreciate that.

Many thanks,

John (fred77)

PS you may get an email from me as well as this post to the forum.!! My mistake!

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @fred77,

I've just picked up the ticket and updated it with confirmation of the engineer. Let us know if you have any issues. 

fred77
Rising Star

Engineer booked to visit this coming Wednesday morning.  Thanks for help so far.

John (fred77)

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks John, I hope the engineer is able to get the fault fixed and we'll catch up with you after the visit to follow things up with you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
fred77
Rising Star

Hello Adam,

The engineer turned up yesterday morning. Just before he arrived I checked the stats from my router and the speed was more or less back to normal as were the snr figures!!! Very frustrating. I explained this to him and he checked things out and agreed first off that there was some noise on my line. He spent some time checking things but finally said that my speeds were where they should be and that maybe someone else on the village circuit could have tightened a wre or something that fixed my line.

Regrettably I have just checked my stats this morning and I am back with the fault!!!

Stats....

Data rate:

196 Kbps / 31.70 Mbps

2183 / 46290

10.5 dB / 10.4 dB

24.8 dB

Where does this leave me and Plusnet?? Presumably my fault ticket is still open and you will get it looked at again?

Could you please come back asap to let me know you have seen this post and let me know what will happen?

Many thanks,

John

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear this John.

We'll need to arrange another engineer visit as line tests aren't showing the cause for the problem. I've updated your fault ticket: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=185935987 with this information.

If you can reply to that with your availability letting us know over here when you've done so we'll be happy to book the appointment in for you as soon as we can.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
fred77
Rising Star

Hello,

I have told the other team that a visit any morning next week is fine except Friday. I hope this is ok and I get a quick result as it is proving nearly impossible to use the phone for calls and the internet is very dodgy!

Perhaps you could rely to this asap please to confirm that all is proceeding Ok, especially as I have said connectivity is quite poor and not sure all is getting through.

Many thanks,

John (fred77)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us John.

I've booked you in for an engineer visit on the 07-01-2019 between 8am and 1pm. I've also updated the fault ticket with information sending you a text message and e-mail out.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
fred77
Rising Star

Openreach have found the fault and repaired it giving me what currently appears to be my stable line and speed back. They came up with the goods this time unlike the first when they could have done more. Thanks to all at PN who have assisted with this problem.

John (fred77)

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @fred77,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I'm pleased to hear that our suppliers have been able to locate and resolve the fault and that your connection looks to be back to normal.

Please let us know if you experience any further problems with your connection or if there's anything else that you would like to discuss.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
fred77
Rising Star

Hello Emily,

I talked this up!! Since posting this morning that it had been fixed I have had a call on my landline and I am disappointed to hear noise again on the line!! (After the engineers visit it was quiet asIchecked.)

My current speed and SNR figures look fine......

6.60 Mbps / 39.76 Mbps

6643 / 45831

6.1 dB / 4.9 dB

24.7 dB

However I am in a quandary....shall I leave things as they are for a while and see if all stays OK with my internet speeds, etc., or do I get you to get the engineer back? If it stays OK then  I think I can live with the noise provided it doesn't get worse, as It isn't as bad as before, but if it adversely affects the internet then of course I would want to get it fixed. What do you think???

It is clear that the problem exists outside my property.

I wait to hear from you.

John  (fred77)