cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing to achieve Minimum Guaranteed Speed (Ticket Ref: 193024240)

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Failing to achieve Minimum Guaranteed Speed (Ticket Ref: 193024240)

Hi Plusnet,

I recently renewed by 80/20 fibre broadband contract via retentions (great experience by the way) and the chap that dealt with me happened to mention that I apparently have a Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 65Mbps. I was intrigued by this as my Samknows reporting box has given a pretty consistent maximum speed test of ~59Mbps for the last six months (I am sure it used to be higher but this became my new 'norm'):

chart (1).png

Given this a support ticket (ref 193024240) was raised on my behalf. The ticket was recently updated with 'Our suppliers have informed us they have cleared a fault on your line. They believe this has rectified the issue you reported to us. I have also tested your line today and no fault has been found.' which sounded promising however looking at my latest Samknows results it seems that whilst there appears to be a slight improvement I'm still not getting the 65Mbps:

chart (2).png

The y-axis isn't very clear but, ignoring the dips in the middle, the chart up to 1800hrs on the 27th August generally sits at around 59Mbps and after a modem/router reboot at 1800hrs it now sits at around 61Mbps. Incidentally, for this reboot I also changed my PPP login details from my previous IPv6 test account details to my 'normal' Plusnet account just in case this might have been in any way related.

I have also performed at BTW Performance Test and got the following:

Screenshot from 2019-08-28 20-48-10.png

In light of the above I have a few questions:

1. Does it seem like I've still got a problem given I am not achieving the Minimum Guaranteed Speed?

2. Is the 'IP Profile for your line is - 64 Mbps' statement on the BTW test significant?

3. If either 1 or 2 are true any chance you could help? 🙂

43 REPLIES 43
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Failing to achieve Minimum Guaranteed Speed (Ticket Ref: 193024240)

I think the "minimum guaranteed speed" is in terms of the modem's sync speed, not throughput speed or IP Profiles. If your IP Profile is 64, then I think your sync speed will be above your 65 minimum.

MJN
Pro

Ah, I see what you mean. I guess Plusnet can tell me what my current/recent sync speed is?

In case it is of any relevance, the availability checker gives the following figures:

Screenshot from 2019-08-28 21-05-28.png

MJN
Pro

Apologies for all these follow-ups but I figured more information is better than less. Here are my speed tests going back to Nov '17 which show that I did indeed used to get better results (~73Mbps):

chart (4).png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there. Cheers for getting in touch with us via our community forums.

I'm sorry to see your speeds are below your minimum guaranteed. This actually refers to throughput on a wired connection, not the sync speed. That changed on 1st March 2019 in line with the updated Ofcom Voluntary Speed Code of Practice. Any new contracts from then have a minimum guaranteed speed as opposed to a minimum guaranteed access line speed.

Your line is in sync at 66.1mbps so realistically you'd struggle to get a throughput of 65mbps, but this below the speed estimates/current expectations of your line at 70.1mbps.

I've noticed while testing your line and this won't be affecting your current speeds in a direct way, that the dynamic line management(DLM) software has capped your speeds to 74mbps which normally happens when something's wrong.

1. Does it seem like I've still got a problem given I am not achieving the Minimum Guaranteed Speed?

Based on the above yup

2. Is the 'IP Profile for your line is - 64 Mbps' statement on the BTW test significant?

No, the IP profile sits under the sync rate and is normally just a symptom rather than a cause.

We'll likely need to arrange an engineer to investigate further but before we do that could you try plugging your router into the test socket as explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242 That should rule out (Or confirm) any issues with the internal wiring of the property.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MJN
Pro

Thanks for your thoughts on this Anoush, and I'm more than happy to plug in to the test socket to rule out other potential causes.

It'll take a bit of rewiring (the master socket is, somewhat inconveniently, right beside the front door with no power nearby so will have to rig something up that's toddler proof) so will probably have to do it at the weekend if that's okay. Does it need connecting for an extended period of time or just, say, a few hours for me to perform some speed tests to see if things are any different? Will the 64Mbps IP Profile constrain the results?

Also, I've just had an email saying:

'Our commitment under the Ofcom Speed Code of Practice means that if we can't get your speed above the Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 59.1Mbps we promised you, you'll be given the option to leave your contract early without paying any termination fees.'

Do you know where the 59.1Mbps has come from?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem and that does sound like a bit of effort. You'll just need to leave the router in the master socket for as long as you need to run the tests, you should see an immediate increase. The IP profile should change if the sync rate changes.

While in the master/test socket, it may be worth taking down the router's sync speed by going to the router settings at http://192.168.1.254 then Troubleshooting > Helpdesk > Data Rate and see if that's improved in any way.

Also, I've just had an email saying:

'Our commitment under the Ofcom Speed Code of Practice means that if we can't get your speed above the Minimum Guaranteed Speed of 59.1Mbps we promised you, you'll be given the option to leave your contract early without paying any termination fees.'

Do you know where the 59.1Mbps has come from?

I was actually just typing my reply about that before your edit came through...

As a heads up I've "paused" the clock on the speed investigation which we do when you take the time to carry out tests etc as when the speed investigation gets to 30 days we'd allow you to leave your contract without any fees (Obviously if you choose to). I've noticed that the minimum guaranteed speed set on your account is showing as 59.1mbps when it should be 65mbps, I suspect that's not updated because the contract renewal is still pending to go through on your next bill date. This shouldn't affect how we deal with the fault though as we primarily should be using the speed estimates of your line.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MJN
Pro

@Gandalf wrote:

No problem and that does sound like a bit of effort. You'll just need to leave the router in the master socket for as long as you need to run the tests, you should see an immediate increase. The IP profile should change if the sync rate changes.

While in the master/test socket, it may be worth taking down the router's sync speed by going to the router settings at http://192.168.1.254 then Troubleshooting > Helpdesk > Data Rate and see if that's improved in any way.

It is a bit of effort but it's not a problem and I understand it is necessary - I don't want you trying to chase a fault that isn't yours.

Regarding the sync speed I am using the Plusnet-supplied TG582n router and BT Openreach modem. Presumably the sync speed is an issue for the latter, and to which I don't have access to?

As a heads up I've "paused" the clock on the speed investigation which we do when you take the time to carry out tests etc as when the speed investigation gets to 30 days we'd allow you to leave your contract without any fees (Obviously if you choose to). I've noticed that the minimum guaranteed speed set on your account is showing as 59.1mbps when it should be 65mbps, I suspect that's not updated because the contract renewal is still pending to go through on your next bill date. This shouldn't affect how we deal with the fault though as we primarily should be using the speed estimates of your line.

Hope this helps.

It does - thanks!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Regarding the sync speed I am using the Plusnet-supplied TG582n router and BT Openreach modem. Presumably the sync speed is an issue for the latter, and to which I don't have access to?

Yeah it'd be the Openreach modem that determines the sync speed as opposed to the Technicolor router and you can't check the stats from it. I thought you had a Hub One when I was on your account earlier so it looks like I must've missed that. Sad

I think we've just added an extra step before potentially arranging an engineer, to send you out a Hub One if your speeds don't increase in the master socket assuming you don't have another fibre modem around you can try though.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MJN
Pro

To be honest I completely forgot to ask about updated kit when discussing the contract renewal yet mine might be getting a bit long in the tooth now as it's a few years old. Let's take one step at a time though and I will report back when the current modem is in the test socket.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah fair, yup let us know how it goes once you're in the test socket and we'll go from there. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MJN
Pro

Hi Anoush, just a quick update to let you know the modem is in the test socket now (it went in at ~7pm) and from what I can gather (from a couple of speed tests) things appear to have remained the same. I can leave it there for the time being if there's anything you need to do at your end? Incidentally, when taking the modem off the wall I got to see the manufacture date on the back of Oct 2013 so if it is the modem it's had a fair running!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @MJN Thanks for the update. Line tests are showing your speeds have gone up but marginally by 0.1mbps. It's probably worth trying a new shiny modem router as the next step, happy to send one out for free if you want? Smiley

Incidentally, when taking the modem off the wall I got to see the manufacture date on the back of Oct 2013 so if it is the modem it's had a fair running!

Yep I'm not surprised, as far as I'm aware we started sending them out in 2011 or earlier and stopped in 2015. It's ancient!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MJN
Pro

@Gandalf wrote:

Hi @MJN Thanks for the update. Line tests are showing your speeds have gone up but marginally by 0.1mbps. It's probably worth trying a new shiny modem router as the next step, happy to send one out for free if you want? Smiley

Absolutely - thank you!

Yep I'm not surprised, as far as I'm aware we started sending them out in 2011 or earlier and stopped in 2015. It's ancient!

Here's hoping that's what it is then! (Even if not I'm sure the Hub One likely offers other benefits over my old TG582n, although I'll be a little sad to see it go after all these years!)

Thanks again for your help with this Anoush. Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesomeness that's ordered now and your local friendly postie should be popping round with it soon.

Here's hoping that's what it is then! (Even if not I'm sure the Hub One likely offers other benefits over my old TG582n, although I'll be a little sad to see it go after all these years!)

Fingers crossed! You can always keep it in a drawer somewhere as a spare, even if your new router boosts the speed it doesn't seem to be faulty as it's still holding a good connection at a pretty decent speed.

I think I've got my TG582n lying around somewhere from 2014 and my Openreach modem still screwed to the wall. I'm somewhat of a hoarder, don't like throwing things away as you never know when something will come in handy. Roll_eyes

Thanks again for your help with this Anoush. Smiley

No problem at all, always happy to help.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet