Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faceplate Faulty?

FIXED
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Faceplate Faulty?

@bmc 

As you intimate, the ADSL Nation faceplate is old now. I'm not sure that VDSL was around in the day. I persuaded Openreach to change mine when I upgraded to VDSL. This was in the days when they came out and fitted the Modem for you. I can not find a reference to the ADSL Nation one being suitable for VDSL, which bothered me at the time. I agree that they are technically pretty complex with what looks like an active filter but that doesn't mean that by definition they work better.

@1066_1066 

To finish off @Mustrum's words of wisdom, if you extend the unfiltered wiring the chances are that you will be no better off. If you want the best performance then do the job properly, fit a filtered faceplate and install the hub at that location

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-ADSL-VDSLFACE-SOL-Filtered-Compliant-Faceplate/dp/B00NBZKN30/ref=sr...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

A microfilter or faceplate is essentially a low pass filter, so if it blocks ADSL frequencies it must by definition block VDSL frequencies too.

The more modern Openreach faceplates incorporate REIN filtering too. The ADSL Nation faceplate was highly regarded in its day; maybe it had REIN filtering too - I don't know.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
1066_1066
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@Baldrick1 , @198kHz , @Mustrum , @bmc , @Dan_the_Van - thanks everybody for your advice.

" If you want the best performance then do the job properly, fit a filtered faceplate and install the hub at that location"

This is what I'll do.

Baldrick1

@198kHz wrote:

A microfilter or faceplate is essentially a low pass filter, so if it blocks ADSL frequencies it must by definition block VDSL frequencies too.

I'm sure we could have a lively debate on this. I am quite aware of the theoretical frequency response of a simple LC filter. In the real world there can be stray capacitive paths at high frequencies that totally changes the performance at 'out of band' (that's the ADSL band) frequencies. If you add in to the mix that the ADSL Nation design appears from my examination to include semiconductors suggesting that they are active, not passive, filters then, as I said, I do not know if the are suitable and the ADSL Nation blurb did nothing to ressure me. I am not saying that they will not work equally well over the VDSL spectrum., I am saying that this raised a question mark in my head, so whilst BT were here I blagged a BT filtered faceplate off the technician.

Moderator and Customer

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@198kHz wrote:

I'm sure we could have a lively debate on this.

There's certainly a debate to be had, but I don't feel qualified to contribute.  Embarrassed

I became aware recently of a so-called G.fast faceplate, but it seems to have been discontinued.

https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates/g-fast-openreach-faceplate/

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Baldrick1 

I believe we may have talked about this on the PlusNet Community forum in the past. There are several forums which indicate the ADSL filter will work on VDSL but for the OP that's now mute.

I originally suggested this to get a filtered face plate on his extension. That, and simply re-connecting the extension wires might have sorted the problem. Then again, it might not.

However, the OP has since stated that when he replaces his floor boards he will install a power supply at the Master socket and use that instead of the extension.

I've already suggested that he tries disconnecting the extension wires to see if that makes a difference. However, a filter Master face plate is neater and may well have a better filter.

So any Master socket filter face plate should do the trick though I'm uncertain if the newest of the new BT ones fit his old oscket (pictured in post #1). I seem to recall they are clip on.

Brian

1066_1066
Grafter

@bmc 

A neater faceplate and the possibility of a better filter swung it for me. Afraid I missed your point about removing the extension to see if that improved things, it's a bit late now the router's on the extension - I may revisit that next time I have to remove the faceplate. The faceplate posted by @Baldrick1 looks as though it should fit, there's another listed that shows the back - seems fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014E4FIJK 

Baldrick1

@bmc wrote:

So any Master socket filter face plate should do the trick though I'm uncertain if the newest of the new BT ones fit his old oscket (pictured in post #1). I seem to recall they are clip on.

I remain sceptical that any filtered faceplate will do the trick. I would use one that's specified to be suitable for VDSL

There are two types of master socket. The faceplate on the old type is held on by two screws. Newer ones are clipped on. They are not interchangeable. There are reports that the newer design can be troublesome, especially if the back box is screwed hard down onto an eneven surface. Allegedly the box can get distorted resulting in an unreliable connection between it and the clip on faceplate.

Moderator and Customer

bmc
Hero

@1066_1066 

Assuming your extension is surplus to requirements once you get power sorted for the Master socket no wiring will be needed to replace the m/s face plate. Just carefully remove the extension wiring and tape it up (in case it's needed in the future) and plug in your new face plate.

In the process you could do a 3 way speed check - one after another.

Run a test using the Test socket

Run a test using the old face plate and a dongle filter.

Run a test using the new filtered face plate.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@Baldrick1 

Thought there were two types.

Both the face plate you recommended and the second quoted by the OP appear to allow for the pass through of an unfiltered signal. However looking around I can't find VDSL filtered extension face plates.

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Might not help anyone, but when I switched from ADSL to VDSL, nothing (apart from the modem/router) changed internally -same 5C/Mk.4 setup.

John
bmc
Hero

@Baldrick1 

My suggestion of using a filtered socket extension is now totally and utterley mute - the XTF socket is now "discontinued"

However, the web page did have the following

"Compatible with ADSL, ADSL+, ADSL2, ADSL2+ and VDSL (Including FTTC services such as BT Infinity)."

Brian

Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star

I can confirm that I'm using ADSL Nation with VDSL and works a treat. The filter was discontinued when Tandy bought ADSL Nation, not because of the filter's supposed incompatibility with VDSL.  

With my ADSL Nation filter I get an extra 10Mbps (on an extension) than when connected to the Openreach faceplate on the master socket. 

Baldrick1

@Edinburgh_wg , @bmc 

I appreciate your admiration of ADSL Nation filters. Back in the ADSL days when I used them I agree that they worked admirably.

Regarding 'supposed' incompatibility', if you read back I never claimed that they are incompatible. This concern was based on the data available at that time, which has also been referred and linked to in a previous post. I quote from this 'Fully compatible with ADSL, MaxDSL, ADSL 2 and ADSL 2+'.

VDSL might well have been added later on other documentation but that was the information available at the time, hence I blagged a free new faceplate from BT.

Moderator and Customer