cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faceplace - noob question

FruTBunn

Faceplace - noob question

Hi
I've replaced all my sockets, including the BT master socket, with different ones.
Will this cause a problem for me when the engineer comes next week to install?
I'm sure the engineers have come across this before.
Thanks very much
Frubert
10 REPLIES 10
dnpark38
Rising Star

Re: Faceplace - noob question

After Master socket is your responsibility so if your work not causing a fault he won't be interested.
I've heard of many people buying up to date proper OR master sockets and VDSL Mk 2 filtered faceplates from Ebay and never heard of an OR engineer saying anything, but guess they would if installed wrongly.
Would appear to me they do not have records of what they fitted in the past or present, of course good to hear if others know different.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
FruTBunn

Thanks so much for the reply.
What I've done is replace the cover cover with one of these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/d190/Screwless+Flat+Brushed+Steel/sd3109/Screwless+Flat+P... so there's no small box on the wall for the OR engineer to plug anything into.
dnpark38
Rising Star

I do not know what he will make of that, sorry.
These are what I thought BT/OR provided.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bt+openreach+master+socket&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&...
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
FruTBunn

Thanks  dnpark38.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@FruTBunn
I think you have a problem there the OR installer will expect to see something like dnpark shows.
It's filtered and has test socket facilities with disconnection of any extensions  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
bleeper24

Hi FruTBunn
                         The faceplate you have fitted is the "cosmetic " type and probably may well be viewed as impractical by the engineer I'm afraid ......The NTE5a type is more acceptable for many reasons as it offers better "test facilites " and though it may not look as " sleek " ....... it may well get a "thumbs down " from the engineer ...Hope it goes o/k for you ...but don't be surprised if an alternative connection point is advised .Good luck ......
FruTBunn

Thanks all.  Do you know if the engineer carries these NTE5a boxes?
PeterLoftus
Pro

Yes when we had our fibre fitted the installer fitted a brand new mark 3 faceplate FOC
Its their job to install the socket to the latest standard and install the modem which he supplies. My fitter also plugged in the Plusnet router  Smiley
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
FruTBunn

Quote from: PeterLoftus
My fitter also plugged in the Plusnet router  Smiley
You must have good coffee Peter  Wink
PeterLoftus
Pro

Yes he did get his choice of beverage and hobnobs  Cheesy
But I would be firm with the OR guy as diplomatically as you like to make sure you are satisfied with the installation as this can avoid all sorts of issues and is actually to all parties benefit.
In my case I had him reconnect an extension for our upstairs office and disconnect two other extensions and a sky telephone connection no longer needed. My final test was to connect my laptop by Ethernet and veryfy the speed and browsing connection  Cheesy
Edit/ I also checked his van to make sure he was an Openreach technician rather that a contractor
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra