Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook app really slow

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Facebook app really slow

If it was solely the router then there'd have been complaints for almost a year I'd imagine. There have been people in this thread reporting problems that are running firmware that's over a year old.
There's also somebody with an Asus router reporting issues (which incidentally is the manufacturer of the router that's 'fixed' things for you) Huh

As Kelly says, we're still looking into it, however it would be interesting to find out whether or not yesterday's iOS update has influenced the situation for anybody?

@Lostk2, I can't send a prepaid returns bag unfortunately. Would normally offer to refund the cost of postage but that might be tricky if your account's already closed ☹️

@lrc123, if you can reliably replicate the issue almost everytime, then I might try and grab some logs from your router during a pre-arranged time when you're able to test if that's OK? (although not confident those logs will show us much).

Another thing people might be able to help us with, although not for the technically uninitiated, would be to sniff and capture the WiFi traffic when this happens using a Mac. It's not straight forward though, and you'd need to capture the iOS device establishing a connection to the access point too, because without the key exchange the data won't be much use.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

lrc123
Rising Star

It is still happening on iOS 11.

I am happy to help with logs.

I am also happy to help with sniffing the connection from my Mac, I am technically minded, so would be able to follow instructions.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks, that's really helpful of you.

I'm out of the office at present so the remote logging may have to wait. It's not going to catch much more than what's visible in the router helpdesk logs though.

Ditto for capture instructions until I get the opportunity to mess around with it myself.

If you do want to get a head start though, then this looks like it might do the trick. Few things to consider:

• Looks like you might need to fix the wi-fi channel in the Hub One to make sure you're capturing the right traffic.
  • Make sure the mac is next to the router when sniffing and that the iOS device is close but you have the mac between the device and the router.
  • Disconnect all wireless clients, connect the mac and start the capture.
  • Connect the iOS device and try to avoid connecting anything else to avoid unnecessary noise.
  • You'll need to replicate the Facebook/iOS issue a few times before stopping the capture.
  • Try to keep the capture time to a minimum because the output can get fairly hefty.
  • Worth keeping a note of timestamps which will make analysis easier.
  • We may need your SSID and WPA-PSK key in order to interpret any results.

If you do manage to give this ago (and I wouldn't expect it of you, so am grateful for the offer), then let me know and we'll arrange a way for you to get the output to me (needless to say, I wouldn't suggest uploading or linking to it here).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

akeegan90
Grafter

@bobpullen my issues were only with Wi-Fi, my connection has been great, I've always been getting 37mbps from an "up to" 38mbps download speed.

Aswell as replacing the router i have also moved my router as I read that certain electrical appliances cause havoc with Wi-Fi signals (previously my router was quite close to a fish tank), it's now centrally located in my house on a shelf I made above a door in my pantry. To be fair I never tried the hub one up there.

Could line noise or attenuation be causing an issue with people's connections? I was going to look into getting a new faceplate as the telephone socket in my house is a bit dated and i wanted to see if it was causing an issue, adsl/vdsl microfilters are cheap and nasty, not to mention an eye sore if they're on show
oatesm
Dabbler

Any updates on this issue.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Not yet I'm afraid. I've been out of the office these last few weeks. Hoping to make some progress next week when I'm back in.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Lwio
Rising Star

Right guys I’m getting grief from my daughter about this. So it’s getting serious. Videos are infinitely buffering on Facebook app iOS 11 on iPhone 6s. Tried usual resetting network settings on phone etc. Same phone at the same time gets web pages on safari. Other devices connected to Internet fine at the same time. WiFi turned off fb app works fine on 4g. Get it sorted please.
Pearsonchris
Hooked

Hi Ive just moved to plusnet and have same issue with Facebook was fine with BT And via 4g use my router and it takes ages. Is there a solution yet?
lrc123
Rising Star

It seems particularly bad tonight.

Pearsonchris
Hooked

Hi Bob is there any progress on this everything seems to have gone quiet.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've had an iPad on my desk for the last few weeks connected to a Hub One that I was hoping to be able to replicate the issue from. No such luck though. Every time I've spent a few minutes using either the Instagram or Facebook apps, I've failed to encounter any issues at all Undecided

@lrc123, I don't suppose you managed that traffic capture in the end?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

lrc123
Rising Star

No, it looked a bit too involved for me. I've just taken to turning wifi off if I want to use Facebook or Instagram.

Have you been able to tell if the apps connect to a different address to the websites?

Poppylu2012

Hi, is there any updates yet.... I’ve only been with plusnet for two weeks and I’ve had issues since day one with the Facebook app.
I’ve got to say that I’m not impressed that so many people are having the same issue and since April it still hasn’t been rectified... I’m running the latest iOS on an iPhone 6s.
Please update ASAP as this is frustrating to say the least.
Pearsonchris
Hooked

Agreed and this thread seems to have ground to a halt. Twitter here we come?Huh
oatesm
Dabbler

Is the reason Plus net have gone silent because they cant resolve the issue?

Lots of PlusNet customers are still having this issue