cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook app really slow

OryxCallotis
Grafter

Re: Facebook app really slow

You will get crappy routers no matter what ISP you're with, some worse than others.

I spent about £25 on a tp-link off Amazon a while ago and picked up the upgraded version of that router off eBay a few weeks ago for about... £5?

dbonde

I have the same issue:

I have four mobile devices, two with iOS 11 and two Androids (4 and 6). I also have an Asus RT-AC66U. Since a year or so the Facebook app on all these devices stall after maybe five minutes of use. Restarting the WiFi on the phone resolves the problem for another five minutes (sometimes just waiting a minut or two makes it work again).

None of my devices has this problem when I bring them to work/hotels/bars and use the WiFi there. Furthermore, none of my computers at home has a problem with the desktop version of Facebook. However - I haven't tested this thoroughly but my impression is that the same problem sometimes occur when I use the mobile version of the Facebook site on my iOS/Android devices.

I have updated the router firmware several times since this problem appeared to no avail. When I call the Asus support they "have never heard of it before".

Note that I am not a Plusnet customer and bought my router directly from Asus so there are no ISP adaptions to the firmware or similar.

uloonat
Dabbler

Yes I've been experiencing streaming issues recently in the evenings.  It happens across iPlayer, netflix and YouTube, whilst using the apps and also the web versions of these sites.

I may have mentioned this before but the only was around the issues is for me to connect through a VPN.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@uloonat That doesn't sounds like the issue we're looking at here.  That's more of a general streaming performance problem.  Interesting that you don't see it over a VPN though, that would suggest it's something like peering or CDNs

What VPN are you using?   How do your speedtests look like over the VPN and not?  Is the VPN slowing you down significantly?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
lrc123
Rising Star

It could be related, as it was reported earlier in the thread that Facebook/Instagram started working faster with a VPN - which shouldn't be the case!

dbonde

@bobpullen Could you please comment on my message above?

Thank you.

Rich2359
Dabbler

I’ve been having the exact same issue with the white hub one since I joined early last year.
I have just read 186 messages in this thread that is listed as ‘fixed’ when it clearly [-Censored-]ing isn’t.
I’d like to add the game app ‘clash of clans’ to the list of iOS based apps that suffer the never ending loading wheel to those already mentioned.
I too will be looking to leave plusnet as this I completely ridiculous that they cannot disgnose the issue this far in. I mean come on, it’s not isolated. It’s just people either can’t be bothered to shout about it, or they find an easy work around.
Well for the likes of me that rely on WiFi signal in their house as there is [-Censored-] all in the way of mobile data in the area, it isn’t going to wash.
I’ve had a gut full of excuses, and reading the thread which lists a fix when it doesn’t, is down right [-Censored-]ing annoying. 13 [-Censored-]ing pages. 13! For what? Nothing. You useless [-Censored-].
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ignoring the excessive use of expletives @Rich2359 has a very valid point and I would ask that a moderator remove this fix from this thread.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Fix removed as requested..

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Mav, I, and I hope others, are of the opinion that a ‘Fixed’ thread should have instructions, that when followed, would allow a user in a similar position to that described in the thread resolve the issue to a point where it no longer exists.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Anonymous Only the OP or a mod can mark a problem as fixed so presumably this issue was fixed to the OP's satisfaction and removing the fix is wrong in my opinion.

Also, when a reply has been marked as a fix it is linked to in the OP so there is no need to wade through the full thread in search of the solution.

If pottymouth has a different problem they should have created a new thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair comment @Browni, but I think @Mav will back me up on this that the post cited as a fix, couldn't, by any stretch of the imagination be construed as a 'Fix'.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I'll have to take your word for that Wink

Food for thought: on another forum I am a member of, when a thread is marked as solved it is automatically closed...

Mav
Fixes: 515

@Browni

Usually we work on the basis that if the OP says it is fixed then it stays as fixed.

In this case the post that was marked as fixed may have been accidently marked thus as there was no real indication of what the fix was plus a subsequent post by the OP seemed to indicate it was still on-going for them.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

lrc123
Rising Star

As the OP I can confirm that this is most certainly not fixed! Nor should it be marked as fixed. The only fixes suggested to me by plusnet in the 9 months since raising this issue are to not use the Facebook or Instagram apps.

The only fix I have found is to use a different ISP/switch to 4G whenever I encounter this issue.