cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook app really slow

akeegan90
Grafter

Re: Facebook app really slow

No, that happened yesterday.. we've been having this issue ever since we joined Plusnet. From what I can see online it's a common issue. Plusnet always seem welcoming to new customers but when an existing customer has issues you wait 45 minutes just to speak to someone, to then just be fobbed off with a story.
Then you get some sky high cancellation charge, Google it and see the thousands of unhappy customers stuck in a contract with Plusnet.

Its like they say, you get what you pay for
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I don't have Facebook on my mobile but it works fine on my laptop (and wifey's). Could it be down to an update? or maybe to do with FB being down yesterday (maybe still sorting out some bugs)?

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
akeegan90
Grafter

I'll just leave this here.. I'm at the end of my tether will Plusnet, I'm not paying for a rubbish service and I'm not paying to cancel my rubbish service so this is the route I'm going down.

Complaints can be escalated to CISAS

If you believe you’re receiving poor service and Plusnet refuses to let you cancel without penalty, you may be able to escalate the issue to CISAS – an alternative dispute resolution scheme. If CISAS believes your case to be valid, it will handle your complaint for you and attempt to speed the issue along to a satisfactory conclusion.

International Dispute Resolution Centre
70 Fleet Street, London, EC4Y 1EU, United Kingdom
Email: info@cisas.org.uk
Tel: 020 7520 3827
uloonat
Dabbler

@bobpullen it hasn't really made much of a difference

lrc123
Rising Star

I've also been having this issue since I joined Plusnet in April, so it won't be related to their outage yesterday. This has been going on for months.

It is also only the apps that it doesn't work with, I expect because they are communicating with the Facebook content server, rather than the Facebook web server, which then contacts the content server. However, despite this issue being open for over 4 months Plusnet do not seem interested in even testing this, or doing anything else meaningful to get their service working as per any other ISP.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@akeegan90, I'm no longer 100% you're solely experiencing the symptoms that others are reporting, particularly given the myriad devices you're experiencing issues with. Could yours be a general wi-fi/interference problem I wonder? The broadband connection itself looks stable, although it has dropped out on a few occasions late morning/early afternoon. Not sure if that coincides with the occasions you've experienced issues?

@uloonat, thanks for the clarification. Yours is another odd one, particularly as you're using a third party router. If there was a global issue affecting all kit, then I'd expect a *many* more people to be reporting problems/complaining Huh

@GrahamPMW & @lrc123, still looking for a couple of candidates to try a modified Hub One? I can prepare and drop a couple of units in the post tomorrow if you're willing?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

lrc123
Rising Star

@bobpullen happy to try that.
GrahamPMW
Hooked

@bobpullen Yes please, happy to try that. Some more info for you, wife is having issues with the Tesco app. It's pretty much unusable in terms of speed since switching to Plusnet. My daughter has commented on the Amazon Prime app, that has been coming up with 'you have lost internet connection'. I will get a screen shot of that next time it happens. I have been experiencing very slow web page loading speeds. The phone browser progress bar loads about 25% across and just hangs. You have to keep hitting refresh and eventually the page will load. It may be worth me recording some video of some of these issues so you can see in real time what is happening.
akeegan90
Grafter

@bobpullen I haven't experienced issues with hard wired connection and hit 37mbps from an 'up to' 38mbps line. Only have issues on Wi-Fi, but it is a variety of devices and operating systems
oatesm
Dabbler

I'm a new customer and am having the exact same problems with the I Phones not being able to load videos or buffering for ages via the Facebook app

Signed up to fiber extra unlimited and keep getting speeds ranging from 2mb to a maximum of 54mb.

For some reason keep loosing connection and getting the orange light on the front of the box.

Seriously thinking of ending the contract due to paying for a service that Ive not received from the start of the contract if is not resolved rapidly.

williamsth
Hooked

We're getting similar issues here too.

Facebook app just shows the spinwheel for ages before timing out. Force quitting the app and immediately reloading it then makes it work instantly. Maybe there's some outbound source ports being blocked which causes the app to the time out when it hits the ports in that range?

We don't get the same issue on other networks. Both using iPhones over WiFi. Has anyone had any improvements using a new router? Could we possibly have one sent?
GrahamPMW
Hooked

@bobpullen Hi Bob, any joy with that router? Thanks.
williamsth
Hooked

I've plugged in a Smart Hub instead. Will see how things go
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@williamsth and just to verify, other activities seem fine?  Just Facebook and possibly instagram being slow/white screening on iOS?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@oatesm Where are you getting those speedtest results from?  Are they done on the phones, or on wired PCs?

I'm asking because the slow results could be a distance from WIFI thing.   If you are seeing your speed fluctuating that much on a wired test, then we might have another issue here.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager