Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook app really slow

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Facebook app really slow

Ok thanks, going to try something different with your connection next week when I'm back in the office.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

akeegan90
Grafter

It's just frustrating @bobpullen ,I'm effectively paying for a service that I can't use, why should I have to buy more mobile data when I'm connecting to Wi-Fi at home. I'm willing to try anything that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.
GrahamPMW
Hooked

Hi Bob, I'm getting similar performance with the FB app on iOS. I have recently moved from Sky BB to Plusnet fibre so doubly annoyed! I don't get the same issue on my work setup or my parents BB (BT), it's just when connected to Plusnet. Fine on 4G.
tcw
Hooked

I too suffer with this issue - I genuinely started to wonder if I was imagining it...

lrc123
Rising Star

Is this issue being looked into properly? Or 4 months on are we still at the "try tweaking your router settings" stage?

Has anyone tried sniffing the addresses that the Facebook app looks for?

Has anyone from Plusnet discussed this with Facebook?

I've still got over a year on my Plusnet contract, and have already had enough with. At the moment I'm having to pay for extra 4G data each month, due to my home broadband not being fit for purpose.
Lostk2

I've finally given up, I contacted plusnet last week stating that I wanted my contract cancelled mainly because the speed I signed up for cannot be reached.

Whilst on the phone I also mentioned this issue, and was advised that it will be resolved with the new router firmware roll-out. Since I already have the new router firmware I was quick to point out that it will not resolve this issue and made them aware of this forum conversation.

My contract has now been cancelled and I am swiftly moving away from plusnet Sad 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@akeegan90 wrote:
I'm willing to try anything that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.

@akeegan90, I've just popped a modified Hub One in the post, should arrive with you mid-week. Can you set it up when you receive it and let me know if iOS app performance is any better?

@uloonat, I've just made a routing change to your connection. I'm not particularly hopeful about this one, but again, let me know whether or not it's helped.

@lrc123 wrote:
Is this issue being looked into properly? Or 4 months on are we still at the "try tweaking your router settings" stage?

Yes, it is - although like most problems of this nature, the first step is being able to reliably replicate the issue. We don't think it's solely a network problem because there are plenty of customers (myself included) who see zero performance degradation using iOS apps over wi-fi. There does seem to be a correlation with the Hub One, but from the examples we have, it's not firmware specific and we've at least one customer using an ASUS device.

My guess at this stage would be that it's a combination of things that's led to the problem, some potentially within our control, others outside.

Has anyone tried sniffing the addresses that the Facebook app looks for?

If I can reliably replicate the problem, then I'll extract a packet capture from the WAN interface of the router and see whether or not it provides us with any clues.

Has anyone from Plusnet discussed this with Facebook?

No. I don't think we've enough information at this stage. We have engaged our hardware vendor though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

akeegan90
Grafter

Received the modified router today, plugged it in when I finished work.
So far only had chance to try out my android s6 edge and my android tv box briefly on YouTube and bt sport app but all of those appear ok at first glance so far. (I've had buffering issues on the bt sport app also, ill watch the football on it tonight so should get a good impression on how it performs with new router)
I will keep note of these and other devices and report back over the week
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@akeegan90, particularly interested in the iPhone 6S performance. Most other's seem to only encounter the issue on iOS devices, so interesting that you've had issues with Android too. Regardless, early signs sound encouraging so thanks for testing.

@uloonat, did you notice any difference in performance after the changes I made?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

GrahamPMW
Hooked

@akeegan90 - any joy with that new router?

@bobpullen - FB on iOS is painfully slow. Loading comments and playing videos, the performance is awful. We have 4 iPhones (5's & 7's) same on iPads. Definitely not the devices as fine on other wifi. As previous posters have stated, it's got to a point where you have to switch to 4G to get it to work or sit there and wait. Seriously considering cancelling, I was better off on Sky BB.
akeegan90
Grafter

It's a no from me on android and iOS on the new router I was sent, videos still buffer and still can't load comments on either o/s. Didn't have any issues on android box hard wired to the router but the Wi-Fi is still dreadful
akeegan90
Grafter

@Lostk2 did you get an early cancellation charge?
Lostk2

There would have been but because I signed up for 50-70Mb and fastest speed I can get is only 40Mb I was given the option to leave or get a discount. I took the discount but the addition of this issue pushed me too far and decided to go with Sky. It was especially concerning that Plusnet think the router update is going to fix this issue, and we're not really aware of it, I would have thought a lot more people are experiencing it than are on this forum. I already have the firmware update and it was getting even worse by the day. Interestingly I've started using my old talk talk router this week however with separate channels
For 2.4 and 5 ghz and so far this week we have had no issues.
akeegan90
Grafter

Just saw on another post Plusnet want £14.30 per month for the rest of my contract for an early cancellation charge! (£100 to buy out of the contract i have left and £30 cessetation charge) Absolutely ridiculous! So because they can't provide a service that every other isp can I have to deal with it or give them more of my hard earned money to leave?!
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Could this be the problem?

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/facebook-and-instagram-down-code-change-responsib...

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.