Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook app really slow

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Facebook app really slow

Hi, have you tried separating the 2.4 and 5Ghz WIFI SSIDs so they are using different channels?  We're still investigating on our side.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Can those continuing to experience issues please provide the following info?

• Router in use?
  • When the problem started?
  • App/service in use when the problem is being experienced? e.g. Instagram app, Facebook app etc.
  • Device(s) from which problem is being experienced? e.g iPhone 6, Macbook etc.
  • Software version? e.g. iOS 10.3.3
  • Whether the problem is experienced over a wired connection, wi-fi or both?

Thanks Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

lrc123
Rising Star

• Router in use? - Standard Fibre router I was sent in March (One router?)
  • When the problem started? - March, right from when I joined Plusnet.
  • App/service in use when the problem is being experienced? e.g. Instagram app, Facebook app etc. - Facebook and Instagram apps. Websites seem fine.
  • Device(s) from which problem is being experienced? e.g iPhone 6, Macbook etc. - iPhone 7
  • Software version? e.g. iOS 10.3.3 - iOS10.3.3, but have seen it on every version of iOS software since moving to Plusnet. I have also tried a factory reset on my device to try and solve this problem, but the only way to make it go away to to move off the Plusnet network.
  • Whether the problem is experienced over a wired connection, wi-fi or both? I cannot connect my iPhone to a wired network, so have only seen this on wireless.
uloonat
Dabbler

• Router in use? - ASUS RT-N66U
  • When the problem started? - It started last year although I can't pinpoint a specific month.  It never really bothered but is now getting ridiculous.
  • App/service in use when the problem is being experienced? e.g. Instagram app, Facebook app etc. - Mainly instagram and Facebook.  Recently I have also been experiencing the issue on YouTube.
  • Device(s) from which problem is being experienced? e.g iPhone 6, Macbook etc. - Iphone 7 & MacBook 
  • Software version? e.g. iOS 10.3.3  -  iOS 10.3.1 
  • Whether the problem is experienced over a wired connection, wi-fi or both? - WI-FI.  I am unable to test on a wired connection.

Can you please update us all on the status of your investigation as this is causing so much inconvenience for my household and for others out there too.  We are always having to purchase extra data which shouldn't be the case.  In what way will Plusnet compensate everyone?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the info. With regards to compensation, this issue definitely doesn't affect everyone. We'd be inundated if it did. Also, from personal experience, I don experience the problem. There's 2 iPhones and an iPad on my network and they're all fine when accessing both Instagram and Facebook.
We need to try and narrow the factors that lead to the problems you're seeing.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

akeegan90
Grafter

Router in use? - standard Plusnet fibre one

When the problem started? - since joining Plusnet, didn't mind at first as thought it was temporary for new line.

App/service in use when the problem is being experienced? e.g. Instagram app, Facebook app etc. - facebook, all social network apps.

Device(s) from which problem is being experienced? e.g iPhone 6, Macbook etc. - Samsung galaxy s6 edge, Samsung galaxy s8, Sony Xperia x, iPhone 6s, Lenovo ThinkPad laptop.

Software version? e.g. iOS 10.3.3 - iOS, Android, Windows10

Whether the problem is experienced over a wired connection, wi-fi or both? - seems to be only WiFi for me
nim81
Dabbler

I've been using the new router for a couple of weeks now and no issues since... the problem does appear to be fixed for me, it was happening almost every time you used Facebook before.

liane14
Dabbler

Gone slow again today Facebook only yet fine on 3G/4G. Hub one router tested on iPhone 6S and Samsung galaxy s6 via the app.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Can those who continue to experience problems, please try Kelly's suggestion of separating the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless channels?

This will leave you with two visible wireless networks that you can connect to: one that operates at 2.4GHz and one that operates at 5GHz. It would be very helpful if people could try connecting their iDevices to each of these networks and confirm whether or not the problem affects 2.4GHz only, 5GHz only, or both.

For a quick overview of the differences between the two frequencies, have a read of this.

How to split 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks on the Plusnet Hub One

1. Browse to http://192.168.1.254 in your Internet browser and click 'Advanced Settings':

grab-1.jpg

2. Enter the admin password for your device and click 'OK'. You'll find the password on the plastic card insert:

grab-2.jpg

3. Click 'Continue to Advanced Settings':

grab-3.jpg

4. Click 'Wireless':

grab-4.jpg

5. Look for your Wireless SSID (this is the name that pops up when you search for your network from a wireless device). Append '-24GHz' to the end of it and click 'Apply':

grab-5.jpg

6. Click 'Yes':

grab-6.jpg

7. Wait for your changes to be saved:

grab-7.jpg

8. Click '5GHz Wireless':

grab-8.jpg

9. Disable 2.4GHz sync by selecting the relevant 'No' radio button, and then repeat the above process for the 5GHz frequency. This time though, append '-5GHz' to the SSID and apply the changes:

grab-9.jpg

You should find that there are two wireless networks visible if you search for them and each will operate independently of the other.

Remember: if anything else was connected over wifi, then you will need to reconnect it to one of the new SSIDs and re-input your wireless password on each device.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

geekofbroadband
Grafter

I've been splitting the wireless SSID's for years, its the first thing I do so that wouldn't have been causing the facebook issue I was having, it seems to have gone away now, if you ask me its not a router issue, just back end stuff

uloonat
Dabbler

I've already tried this when the issue first started occurring and it doesn't help at all.

uloonat
Dabbler

I've also noticed over the past week that the eBay and Amazon apps on my iOS devices are also playing up on wifi.  Images won't load at all and sometimes I cannot search for anything.  As soon as I switch to mobile data or use a VPN connection everything loads fine.

akeegan90
Grafter

Split the wireless SSID's last week and it made no difference other than giving me ball ache logging into router to mess about. What's the charge for early termination?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@uloonat, does your router have an option to change MTU value?

@akeegan90, you'd need to get in touch with support for an answer to that question. I do have a slightly modified Hub One that I'm keen to get somebody to try for me. Would you be willing to give it a go if I pop it in the post?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

uloonat
Dabbler

Yes my router has the option to change the MTU value. It's currently set at 1492