Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook app really slow

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Facebook app really slow

ALL: What routers are you using?  The white Hub One?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
nim81
Dabbler

Yep the white hub one for me

lrc123
Rising Star

As previous feed back I am using one of your white routers, which was only sent out a few months ago.

I will also check with a VPN later.
uloonat
Dabbler

i am using an Asus RT AC66U

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just in case it helps:

1. No problems using a non PlusNet connection on my iPhone.
  2. On the PlusNet connection at my parents with the HubOne, I hadn't noticed any issues. My sister uses her Facebook quite often the PlusNet connection, and she hasn't mentioned anything is up.

It may be worth trying a soft reset on your iPhone just to see if it makes any difference, I've had problems where it can play up sometimes (e.g. not connecting to public WiFi spots), and it fixed it.

lrc123
Rising Star

I've had plenty of soft resets and a hard reset since having this issue.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ok my parents have the same model of router.
I'll be over there later today, to see if I notice anything.

lrc123
Rising Star

I tried swapping to a VPN (Cyberghost) instead of tunring off wifi and Facebook worked again. At least I won't be burning through my data allowance as much now.

uloonat
Dabbler

I have tested this numerous times and it seems to solve the problem.  I'm using IPVanish and have tested a number of endpoints in the UK and across Europe, all work fine.

A friend of mine had the same problem a few months ago and told me that he found a workaround by manually assigning an IP address to his iPhone on his Plusnet home broadband.  I will try this and see if it works

nim81
Dabbler

Pretty sure that the problem is with Plusnet's DNS server. Just changed it on my phone to one of Open DNS's servers (208.67.222.222) and it seems to be working flawlessly now. Would also explain why using a VPN works for other people.

No idea why this would only affect the mobile app, never have any problems with the desktop site.

nim81
Dabbler

Scratch that. It's started playing up again.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

lrc123
Rising Star

I guess the setup using the website would be something like Web browser -> Facebook web server -> Facebook data server. Whereas the app would already have all the layout assets built in and just connect directly the the data server. On the website it would be the web server connecting to the data server, so Plusnet DNS would noted to know about it.

nim81
Dabbler

Yeah that makes sense. I'm still not sure - Facebook does seem to be being really slow on my desktop tonight aswell, so maybe it's just that. The app definitely seems more responsive since I changed the DNS - almost every time I pressed on "view more comments" before I'd just get the spinning wheel until I turned wifi off, it's working fine most of the time now.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Thanks for the hints.   We're continuing to look.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
cmoorst
Hooked

Same issue is happening for my girlfriend.

She's on iOS (6S), connected to the default Plusnet router via WiFi and it happens within the Facebook app. When she disconnects from WiFi and uses 4G, the issue doesn't occur.

I'm on Android, and the Facebook app works fine for me when connected to WiFi.