Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTPoD

petecov44
Grafter

Re: FTTPoD

Can't speak for anyone else. But I had both
And people do get it because they need it even if they won't admit it - " I would like to download faster"if you didn't need to then you would have stuck with ADSL
But you need faster downloads and FTTC does that. So you are getting it because it is there, as you said you don't need it
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

FTTPoD is dead on the coffin grave! FTTC is to stay with us for the next 15 years because Openreach couldn't care less!
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

at 59 i still show some young kids how to play

Rongtw, you're a mere child compared with me!! Roll_eyes
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: tonyAtplus
Who get it because is is there - not because they need it.

Admittedly, the majority of people I have provisioned to FTTP have gotten it only because the simplicity of FTTC was unavailable. Mainly in the Cornwall area for obvious reasons.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: Melancholie
I think people need to remember something - BT couldn't care less what you want out of your broadband service. They really couldn't care less.
Openreach deploy what their customers ask for, and their biggest single customer is BT Wholesale. TalkTalk and Sky combined are larger, however they are busy protecting their LLU investment. They don't want to use anything other than LLU if they can help it so that they can continue to offer slow ADSL virtually or completely free as a value add.. BT Wholesale's products are focused around their biggest customer, which is BT Retail. BT Retail's main selling point driver is BT Sport, not the quality of the broadband.
BT Group want to sell you a broadband service that's as cheap to provide as possible, and to then sell you on their retail product via BT Sport and other value adds. They have absolutely no interest in attempting to compete with Virgin Media on speed because it's the bling that sells at the retail level to people, not the broadband. Price is the main consideration with the broadband hence the tucking away of increases in cost of broadband provision in line rental increases.
Morgan Stanley recently downgraded BT's stock. One of the reasons given for the downgrade was:
Also suggests BT may bid aggressively for better Premier League coverage, suggesting it may pay c.£1bn/pa rather than current figure of £246m - a 25 pct downgrade to 2017E free cashflow say MS.

Put that into the context of that the entire commercial FTTC/P deployment cost about £1.5-1.6 billion in capital expenditure it's abundantly clear where BT Group's priorities for their money as a group lie - with what is pulling the punters in.
If you aren't in an area with very specific political and network conditions such as parts of Milton Keynes Openreach aren't spending a penny more than they have to on you and FTTC is all you're getting on the Openreach tab for the foreseeable if you're lucky.
Something to think about when VM are hitting the kind of speeds that BT currently only offer on FTTP, which won't be long in the grand scheme. If not in one of their areas look on in envy, because short of their expanding their network to you or an altnet overbuilding 17a VDSL is as good as you're going to get.

I agree with most of your post, although I think the main driver behind FTTC was BT Retail and in turn of course BT Wholesale, FTTC has worked for BT to get customers away from LLU back to BT wholesale.  But beyond that point as you say they have no desire for anything past FTTC in the residential market.  I also agree both sky and talktalk will prefer to sell ADSL services over FTTC as they want to max out their LLU investment.
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: MattyC
Quote from: tonyAtplus
Who get it because is is there - not because they need it.

Mainly in the Cornwall area for obvious reasons.

BT don't think the rest of us are good enough? Is that one?
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: petecov44

Move to Cornwall.
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: petecov44

Cornwall gave BT lots of money.
When you have a telco that'd rather spend money on football rights than infrastructure some cash goes a long way.
petecov44
Grafter

Which is why I soon wont have to deal with them or any of their poor network. And I will be so glad!
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Openreach need to ACT fast! Today is http://www.gimmefibre.eu/
petecov44
Grafter

They don't care mate if they did we would have it Sad
Melancholie
Grafter

Openreach neither need to act fast or indeed at all.
They're the only ones with infrastructure in about half the country and have a captive audience.