Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTPoD

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: FTTPoD

One isp told me an average there are 75% residential customers are facing Band F to H and it will gonna to cost u very expensive for FTTPoD and also was told that FTTPoD for residential (cheaper offer one day is ruled out by Openreach)
deathtrap
Grafter

With regards to FTTP-oD I feel that BT have deliberately increased the price not just the build and activation one off charges, but the insanely high monthly fee they want to charge each month, for a 300/30mbps service when the fibre optic cables will support upto 1GB symmetrical , which one provider already supplies for a lot less money each month ,BT have priced it so high because they really do not want to provide FTTP -oD  not only this but say your next door neighbour has FTTP -oD installed, they bt wouldn't need to carry out the same amount of work if you decided on having it too, but i bet they would try to charge the same as if it was a full install
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: MattyC
Bear in mind that it's the distance between your property and the aggregation node, rather than the exchange. I know that that should be closer, but just for future reference.
I'm basing the likelihood of excess charges over the amount of previous FTTPoD provides that had them from what I've seen with other providers. If we did excess charges based on whether we liked someone or not then that would be a bit mean.
Matty

That's fair enough. Now can someone please look at my thread about the engineer who wired in the wrong socket? Before I take it to complaint stage?
Thanks
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: deathtrap
With regards to FTTP-oD I feel that BT have deliberately increased the price not just the build and activation one off charges, but the insanely high monthly fee they want to charge each month, for a 300/30mbps service when the fibre optic cables will support upto 1GB symmetrical , which one provider already supplies for a lot less money each month ,BT have priced it so high because they really do not want to provide FTTP -oD  not only this but say your next door neighbour has FTTP -oD installed, they bt wouldn't need to carry out the same amount of work if you decided on having it too, but i bet they would try to charge the same as if it was a full install

Of course they would - greedy fat cats got to have their expenses paid for.
That's why it's nice to see people digging up fields to get it themselves,even if BT do still lay the fibre.
And like you said it's 330/30 I have 210/25 and I pay £75 a month for that. (£78 if I can get another VM line) and they even with the cost of the hardware to bond it it's still way way cheaper.
If it was 1gbps both ways I can understand it and yes other company's do it in some places but you have to either pay through the nose to get it (Haynes apartments in Cardiff, Minimum £1400 a month rent) or something snooty like Oxfordshire. They just don't give a fig about the masses.
And I don't care what people say if your road has a choice of VM 152 or say Gigaclear 1000 then you will have Gigaclear most of the time.
AndyH
Grafter

Why stop at 1Gb symmetrical? They could offer 10Gb/2.5Gb....
petecov44
Grafter

They could but not in my lifetime I am sure.
Vanburen
Hooked

Quote from: MattyC
That's a good question, I'm not actually sure.
It's a possibility, but I can't imagine it going cheaper in honesty.

It would be interesting to know, it would make a big difference to the long term affordability FTTPoD.
It would be pretty annoying if BT labelled FTTPoD lines for higher pricing, even after the initial contract is over.
Melancholie
Grafter

I think people need to remember something - BT couldn't care less what you want out of your broadband service. They really couldn't care less.
Openreach deploy what their customers ask for, and their biggest single customer is BT Wholesale. TalkTalk and Sky combined are larger, however they are busy protecting their LLU investment. They don't want to use anything other than LLU if they can help it so that they can continue to offer slow ADSL virtually or completely free as a value add.. BT Wholesale's products are focused around their biggest customer, which is BT Retail. BT Retail's main selling point driver is BT Sport, not the quality of the broadband.
BT Group want to sell you a broadband service that's as cheap to provide as possible, and to then sell you on their retail product via BT Sport and other value adds. They have absolutely no interest in attempting to compete with Virgin Media on speed because it's the bling that sells at the retail level to people, not the broadband. Price is the main consideration with the broadband hence the tucking away of increases in cost of broadband provision in line rental increases.
Morgan Stanley recently downgraded BT's stock. One of the reasons given for the downgrade was:
Also suggests BT may bid aggressively for better Premier League coverage, suggesting it may pay c.£1bn/pa rather than current figure of £246m - a 25 pct downgrade to 2017E free cashflow say MS.

Put that into the context of that the entire commercial FTTC/P deployment cost about £1.5-1.6 billion in capital expenditure it's abundantly clear where BT Group's priorities for their money as a group lie - with what is pulling the punters in.
If you aren't in an area with very specific political and network conditions such as parts of Milton Keynes Openreach aren't spending a penny more than they have to on you and FTTC is all you're getting on the Openreach tab for the foreseeable if you're lucky.
Something to think about when VM are hitting the kind of speeds that BT currently only offer on FTTP, which won't be long in the grand scheme. If not in one of their areas look on in envy, because short of their expanding their network to you or an altnet overbuilding 17a VDSL is as good as you're going to get.
petecov44
Grafter

Yes I have VM and it rocks. Makes FTTC like like playdoh
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

It should be remembered that the majority of older users, like myself  ::), are more than happy with the FTTC product on offer from PN. All we require is a reliable & relatively fast service which allows us to watch TV & to download movies. We have no interest in "gaming", our fingers are too artheritic.  Cry
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

tijara33  , age is no handicap of ability to online game  Wink at 59 i still show some young kids how to play  Cool 
i play BF4 quite a lot as i am retired due to ill health , on PN fibre 80/20 which is well suited  to my needs .
i think more of us older users should take to gaming as it helps with dexterity and keeps your brain working  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
tonycollinet
Grafter

Quote from: Melancholie
I think people need to remember something - BT couldn't care less what you want out of your broadband service. They really couldn't care less.
....rest of post snipped for brevity....

Which is not really surprising. They need to sell which means they need to offer what the majority of the customer base needs. Very few people need more than FTTC speeds currently available. I'm in the process of trying to upgrade from ADSL to FTTC. I don't actually need it. I can do everything I need with ADSL
Except
I would like to be able to download films faster
I would like to be able to serve photos from my NAS
Most people are happy to stream films, and that works fine on ADSL. Most people wouldn't know the first thing about serving photos from a NAS.
There is simply not currently a demand prepared to pay for speeds significantly faster than FTTC Can offer.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I am now resigned for future fastest broadband. I am now to accepted and happy to have FTTC 80/20. As it's more fastest enough for everything Netflix, emails, downloading stuffs. I don't need more than 80/20. End of! Rant over!
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: tonyAtplus
Quote from: Melancholie
....rest of post snipped for brevity....

Which is not really surprising. They need to sell which means they need to offer what the majority of the customer base needs. Very few people need more than FTTC speeds currently available. I'm in the process of trying to upgrade from ADSL to FTTC. I don't actually need it. I can do everything I need with ADSL
Except
I would like to be able to download films faster
I would like to be able to serve photos from my NAS
Most people are happy to stream films, and that works fine on ADSL. Most people wouldn't know the first thing about serving photos from a NAS.
There is simply not currently a demand prepared to pay for speeds significantly faster than FTTC Can offer.

Apart from the 4M customer on Virgin Media who get 50 -160
tonycollinet
Grafter

Who get it because is is there - not because they need it.