Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: FTTPoD

Openreach is pure evil!  Angry
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: goldenfibre
PN end the trial because of openreach price went hike!

Shocked Huh Huh
This is totally incorrect.
The FTTPoD trial was back in 2012/2013 where ISPs were given a certain allocation of free FTTPoD connections for the trial on a limited number of exchanges. See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,110626.0.html and http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106383.0.html

Do you expect any company to provide you a service at a loss to them?
acarneiro
Grafter

No. But I do expect a company that is accountable, reliable, fair and transparent. Especially when they have a virtual monopoly of the market they serve.
And I don't see OR being any of the above.
AndyH
Grafter

FTTP and FTTPoD are huge capital expenses for Openreach with paybacks probably 20+ years.
They are never going to supply FTTPoD, as a bespoke product, at a significant loss. So they have to price it accordingly, whether people like it or not.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH

Do you expect any company to provide you a service at a loss to them?

Hard to say, but he certainly expected (and received) near-daily updates from the CEO of the company he now regards as pure evil, back when his cabinet was being installed.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: acarneiro
Will we EVER get rid of OpenReach? They seem to be involved in pretty much everything that is crappy about Broadband in the UK...  Angry

Yes just deal with Virgin if you can get it or a cable alternative around the country.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: WWWombat
Hard to say, but he certainly expected (and received) near-daily updates from the CEO of the company he now regards as pure evil, back when his cabinet was being installed.

Indeed.
He's not explained to me why he needs 300Mb, when he already has 75Mb FTTC.
petecov44
Grafter

I am sure he, like he rest of us, didn't know he had to - are not you his father?
Geezer can have whatever speed he wants as long as he pays for it. - He just doesn't want to pay for it.
I too wonder why he does not have 2 x FTTC he gets speeds I used to get and I wish I got now on that side. He at one point had FTTC and VM and it's the same price or cheaper to have 2 x FTTC now.
So I must admit, I don't get it either.
Melancholie
Grafter

Cost:benefit might explain it.
While I would've happily plonked the cash down for FTTPoD pre-price rise I've just binned the BT Infinity 2 line that the Plusnet service is bonded with after the line rental increase.
If I could I wouldn't use Openreach at all but the joys of monopoly provision and some other factors make escape impossible.
Plusnet have been alright so just about keeping them, though that they're part of BT Group makes me inclined to look on them less favourably.
Wasn't their decision to cheap out on network and instead spend on BT Sport though.
chrcoluk
Grafter

this isnt automatically available in all FTTC areas, my area has FTTC but no FTTPoD, so for whatever reason they dont want to provide FTTPoD here.
Areas that got FTTC after my area have FTTPoD listed.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

For anyone who is intrigued:
I quoted a £17,000 installation price for someone for FTTPoD today. He was in an FTTC area.
Safe to say he didn't fancy it after double checking how many zero's were in the number.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Melancholie
Grafter

Must've been a special offer install to only be £17k.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Don't knock it, you get £75 quid cashback through Topcashback and a tenner off your rental for 6 months  Wink
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: Melancholie
Must've been a special offer install to only be £17k.

That didn't include excess charges that are to be determined once the provision starts, should there be any.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

The whole of FTTPoD is pointless in my view exspecially Openreach hike pricey! FTTC should be fibre 100% from exchange all the way to the house!