Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTPoD

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: FTTPoD

I reckon I'm less than 200m as the crow flies and I'm in Band B (meaning I probably exaggerated the install cost somewhat in my first post).
Edit, not by much I didn't:
Fixed connection fee (£750.00 ex VAT)
Distance based charge (B) (£600.00 ex VAT)
Annual rental (£1188 ex VAT)

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AndyH
Grafter

The previous boss of Openreach gave an explanation about the price increase of FTTPoD to industry analysts:
Adam Rumley - HSBC
I saw that a couple of days ago the prices for Fibre-To-The-Premises On Demand were increased and it was, the explanation was that it reflects a higher cost than you'd previously anticipated. I  wondered if you could just say a bit more about where those differences or where you found those differences to be, and how any initial installs have gone. Thanks.
Gavin Patterson
I mean, let's be clear; this is for the Fibre-To-The-Premise On Demand product, which is a relatively small product for us but has the potential we think to be something that small business in particular might be interested in. But Liv, do you want to just give a bit of colour on it?
Liv Garfield
Yes, so we've only done a small number, but I guess in doing that small number we've taken the course that what we want to keep really bold is the rental. So we've deliberately made sure that we cover ourselves with the connection costs upfront and the rental, as you know, for FoD remains linked to the FTTP rental. So it's the actual connection cost that we've been changing so I guess that's the bit I think you are referring to.
Adam Rumley - HSBC
Is it a process thing that it's the actual act of connecting the premises is more expensive or are you just making sure that your cost stack is covered?
Liv Garfield
So I think what we are trying to make sure is that it's small volumes and when you do anything not at scale, unfortunately it's a bit expensive. That's unfortunately the reality. So we've taken a bit more market demand as to what we all want. It's not going to be a scale product is what our customers are telling us. It's like hand-crafted furniture; unfortunately it requires a little bit more carpentry. So we've just basically looked at that and said even if it's going to be a small-scale product, and we want to make it a good-quality customer experience, let's get it priced right to be able to do that rather than fall over during the course of the process.So it's no one thing that's necessarily changed. It's just the reality of the fact it's small volumes and that means that it comes with a slightly higher price tag. It is, however, beautiful when you receive it. So like hand-crafted furniture. And the customers who are now on it think it's amazing. But unfortunately you do have to take a slightly bigger gulp for the size you want to venture for. Does that answer the question?
Adam Rumley - HSBC
Yes, that does. That's very clear. Thanks.

Quote from: Bob
I think the best we've managed is about 8 weeks. That was to a site where there'd been a previous install though, so I suspect a lot of the work had already been done.

Was that part of the trial though?
There seems to be a bit of an issue with even ordinary FTTP lead times. A neighbour of mine has been given an installation date of the 3rd week of Dec.
With mine, I placed the order and a day later an engineer came out to start!
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Why is it I can't read the quotes from Liv Garfield without thinking of Jessica Hynes in 2012 and W1A?  Smiley
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I reckon I'm less than 200m as the crow flies and I'm in Band B (meaning I probably exaggerated the install cost somewhat in my first post).

What band is mine please? I need to know!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Assuming I'm looking at the right account - F.
/me makes a polite request for people not to approach me in droves asking what band they're in Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: goldenfibre
What band is mine please? I need to know!

I think you'll need to ask Santa to get FTTPoD Cheesy
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Assuming I'm looking at the right account - F.

£2,500!! No way! It's a NO from me then!
petecov44
Grafter

but how many are prepared to pay for it I wonder? Wink

I've had this dilemma for about 9 months - You provide it and i'll pay for it
But no one will Sad
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: goldenfibre
£2,500!!

+ 20% = £3,000
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: AndyH
+ 20% = £3,000

I think it will come down very soon as more isp's will tell BT Openreach no ones will not buying it (FTTPoD) and then BTO might reconsider it.
AndyH
Grafter

Did you read what Liv Garfield said?
Why do you need such speeds anyway? Is 80/20 not enough for you?
petecov44
Grafter

while people pay through the nose for leased lines i doubt it
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: pwatson
Why is it I can't read the quotes from Liv Garfield without thinking of Jessica Hynes in 2012 and W1A?  Smiley

Shes even hotter in person, well i think so Smiley
AndyH
Grafter

She's a high flyer - a BT exec mid-30s and now CEO of a major utility company.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I might ask Liv Garfield out for a dinner!  Kiss Cheesy