cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP

Highlighted

FTTP

My street is being upgraded to FTTP (Openreach vans in the area several times recently and the Scotland Superfast site now shows FTTP planned).

My connection on FTTC is only around 18mb so any improvement is welcome as I have been working from home for the last 3 months.

As Plusnet don't offer FTTP packages what happens? Am I stuck on my current 18mb speeds or does FTTP at least offer the full 40mb or 80mb service from Plusnet? I have around 5 months left on my contract but have been with Plusnet for 11+ years and don't want to change provider if I don't have to.

Thanks

Kevin

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: FTTP

If you want to take advantage of FTTP then you'll have to change provider, it's as simple as that I'm afraid.

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 13

@kevgti77 

FTTP is a completely different setup to that supplied via a phone line. If or when you get it installed a new cable is run to your house with an Optical Network Terminator (ONT) installed on a inner wall near a power source. A router then connects via an Ethernet cable.

As already mentioned you'll need to change provider to receive FTTP as PlusNet currently don't offer it. If you're still in contract termination fees may apply.

Brian

Highlighted
Hooked

Shame Plusnet are not going with FTTP at the moment as I am in the same boat. FTTP has been available for me for 6 months or more I've just been waiting for my ADSL contract to run out so I can upgrade (don't want to pay to get out). Was hoping by the time it did run out Plusnet would have gone with FTTP but sadly not. Been with them for over 12 years and working in IT have recommended them to countless others too.

On the positive side going from 8Mb to 300+ is going to be awesome. Probably looking to move to Zen because I need the static IP, otherwise BT have some fantastic deals at the moment.

Highlighted

Thanks for the responses fellow Plusnetters.

It will be a shame to leave Plusnet after all these years, but as soon as FTTP is available I'll be moving - going from 17mb to even 40m or 80mb will be a huge difference let alone FTTP speeds. I'm currently just under the speed guarantee so I'll be leaving for free (wey hey), in part thanks to Plusnet support not accepting that daily connection drops and below guaranteed speeds are an issue for them rather than me having claiming it's because I have Hive and Alexa devices on my home network - since when does an internal device cause the PPPoE connection to drop.

It's a sign of the times and the change of Plusnet from being independent to part of BT when they assume that I'll migrate to BT for FTTP even when the rollout in my area is Government funded. Well, that's news for BT, I'll be going elsewhere just for their assumption that I'll move to them even if it cost me more, I'm a cut off my nose off to spite my face type of person.

Also, a sign of the times is no response from Plusnet on the forum. In the good old days the likes of Mand Beckett and colleagues (can't remember their names) would have responded but alas Plusnet and BT don't seem to care that much. Maybe the move will be for the best.

I've also worked in IT for 20+ years and recommended several people to Plusnet but if they aren't going to provide the newest products everyone will leave them.

So long fellow Plusnetters. It's been a pleasure over the years, maybe we will meet again at a customer-friendly ISP.