Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP and filters

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

FTTP and filters

Hi

I have become a bit lazy and am not so up-to-date with stuff as I used to be. About 12 months ago I upgraded from ADSL2 to Fibre which has been tremendous. The BT engineer swapped it over at the cabinet and my master socket and internal wiring wasn't touched. I set up a BTHub6 as my modem and router which have worked well so far.

The Master socket is 20 years old and has no new faceplate. It's in an inconvenient place in the house with no power socket nearby so I have always had my router plugged in to another BT extension socket that is better placed.

I have an old ADSL filter on this and also on another extension where I plug in my main phone, but I wondering if I still need filters at all in the fibre world or if I should be using something different ( given they have ADSL written on them).  

Everything is working OK so I should probably just leave it all alone, but wanted to check

6 REPLIES 6
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: FTTP and filters

@the_groundsman wrote:

FTTP and filters

@the_groundsman 

FTTP - no filters required!

I suspect you meant to type FTTC.  Cheesy

the_groundsman
Rising Star

Oops yes your right fibre to the cabinet across the street, not to my house. Sorry

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

FTTP/Fibre requires no filters
FTTC/ vdsl does
however adsl filters should work fine with vdsl
there are a few other options available, what does your master socket look like?
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@the_groundsman 

You can tidy things up a bit if you wish but if it works then it becomes a personal choice.

You can put a filtered faceplate on both the master socket and the extension to remove the ADSL filters. Prior to going to FTTP I used the following. You have to be careful you send an unfiltered signal to the extension but the wiring diagrams show what's required. A punch down tool is required. Other products are available which do the same.

https://www.adslnation.com/products/index.php

Brian

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@the_groundsman wrote:

I have an old ADSL filter on this and also on another extension where I plug in my main phone, but I wondering if I still need filters at all in the fibre world or if I should be using something different ( given they have ADSL written on them).  

It's a low pass filter to block broadband frequencies getting to the phone side - be they ADSL of VDSL, so no worries.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Thanks, My question was prompted by some home improvement work so having to move the landline phone around the house to different rooms and needing to keep a wired phone plugged in because of planned power outages last week. I will be leaving things undisturbed but here are some pictures of the old master socket