Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Now available in my area!

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

FTTP Now available in my area!

A while ago I filled out a form on the Open Reach Web Site to be kept informed when FTTP would be available in my street.

Today I have received an email advising me that FTTP is now available and I should contact my ISP. There is a list of ISP's supporting this, but Plusnet is not one of them.

OK as I am currently working from home so I am not going to do anything that will jeopardise my ability to work by doing something that could leave me without my connection. 

I have about a year left on my current contract with PN. I don't realy want to move ISP's when my contract is up, I have always had a good service and I like the TV package I have.

As BTOR enable more area's does PN have any plans to do a FTTP package? Because I don't really fancy the options of BT and TalkTalk so I can keep a similar TV package or going to Sky for over priced Satellite TV

16 REPLIES 16
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: FTTP Now available in my area!

@DaveCW 

Whatever plans Plusnet may have have they are keeping to themself. Either way they are very unlikely to announce them on this forum.

Even if they said 'coming soon' what could you believe, next week, next year, perhaps not in most mortal's lifetime? Based on experience with such as the roll out of the 'new improved (!)' billing system and the fixing of Hub One firmware issues, time is a very variable thing.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@DaveCW 

You can use the Checker to confirm FTTP is actually available to you. You should see WBC FTTP in the left hand column. In the narrative there should also be a sentence about FTTP.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

You are unlikely to hear anything about a PlusNet FTTP service until the day they announce it (if they intend to offer it at all!!!). The PlusNet back office systems need to be re-written (as they are based on a copper line with a phone number). I've not heard any whispers of this happening and, as mentioned, how long it would take is any bodies guess.

The OR list of ISP's offering FTTP tends to be out of date so have a good look around if you're interested. Apart from BT you have Zen, AAISP, Sky and TalkTalk among the bigger players and several smaller ones.

Brian

ndv
Dabbler

Hi DaveCW,

I'm in a similar position to you, FTTP has just been installed throughout my local area (out in the wilds and FTTC was never available here) and is wired right up to the pole in my garden!  Thought I would at long last be able to have decent broadband at something better than 1.5Mbps which it has typically been.  But now I'm told FTTP is NOT available with Plusnet, and there's no response when I ask if it is coming any time soon!

All the helpful people on this forum say the only option is to switch to BT... but I really don't want to go back to them either.  Plusnet was a refreshing change back when I first joined them ages ago, and I would like to remain.

They had a long running trial of FTTP which ended in July 2018, and there were vague murmers at the time to "watch for exciting news...", but 2 years on and nothing. People on this forum say it is a complex task to set up all the necessary IT, infrastructure and backoffice functions to support what is basically a totally different product to standard fibre and ADSL.  I have no idea about any of this, but can it really be that difficult?

Other people around here have switched to BT, who presumably are quids in right now and busy signing up (for 2 years) all those previous Plusnet customers and many other new ones as well! 

So come on Plusnet, don't let this growing market slip away from you.... it's time to step up and launch some FTTP products.  I for one would be very happy with entry level speeds, which would be brilliant compared with the status quo. 

Nigel

Baldrick1

@ndv wrote:

Hi DaveCW,

Other people around here have switched to BT, who presumably are quids in right now and busy signing up (for 2 years) all those previous Plusnet customers and many other new ones as well! 

So why would BT allow their budget provider, Plusnet, offer FTTP? Maybe there will be movement when Talk Talk and other budget providers start taking significant numbers of Plusnet customers into their fold.

Maybe there's more factors in play behind the scenes?

Moderator and Customer

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Plusnet are more than likely to become no more than a basic ADSL/FTTC provider.

Plusnet: bottom of the barrel low end market basic budget ADSL and VDSL/FTTC with  diminished support  i would expect to see CS staff being cut back or transfered to other BT brands with more emphasis on the community for support

EE: Mid range provider, offering the full works ADSL, VDSL/FTTC as well as FTTP and a few other innovative products ( such as  naked FTTC/ADSL)

BT: the full monty at a price to match possibly becoming VDSL/FTTC and FTTP only at some point

ndv
Dabbler

I have always had the impression that Plusnet are proudly independent of their parent company.  They have been competing with BT for years, offering exactly the same products (including standard fibre) always a bit cheaper... so why should FTTP be any different?  Either way any profit still ends up within the BT Group, as opposed to going to an outside company.

If Plusnet were to jump into the FTTP pond with BT they could effectively squeeze out other competitors.

Nigel

pint
Aspiring Pro

That independence is slowly being chipped away, without the say so of their masters at BT plusnet wont be able to launch FTTP

Mark_g1
Grafter

Feels like plusnet who used to be leaders, are not just budget followers.  It's certainly not the Plusnet I knew. 

I'm only with them because of the referral discount.  If it weren't for that I would be switching to a FTTP provider 

pint
Aspiring Pro

Open reach are currently busy putting in FTTP in my area, the pole my phone line is on now has a label warning of overhead fibre and a new box, the openreach  people who have been threading new fibre through the ducts and installing new equipment on the poles said that its to replace the copper cable which will be removed at some point.

As for speeds etc, at the moment VDSL/FTTC meets my current needs/requirements so unless i'm forced off  copper/VDSL FTTC then no need to change for now

Baldrick1

@ndv wrote:

I have always had the impression that Plusnet are proudly independent of their parent company.  

The Hub One being an old Home Hub 5a plus this change indicates to me that this is no longer the case. https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/news/technology-news/2019/11/plusnet-ceo-steps-down-company-moves-bt...

Moderator and Customer

pint
Aspiring Pro

Things could change even more if BT  face an aggressive take over, which could end up with a break up of the BT group, who would buy plusnet then -- Hutchison ( three) ? Talk Talk?

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/bt-group-board-on-alert-for-potential-15-bn-takeover-131203930.htm...

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The problem is choice BT are to expensive and hike the prices during the Contract, TalkTalk have terrible Customer Services and even worse Tech Support. I wouldn't touch Sky with a Barge Pole. I am then left with some minor companies who don't have a TV service to offer.

Didn't Plusnet have a Trial for FTTP a few years ago?

As more places are provisioned more customers are going to want it.

I hope Plusnet keep up and offer this to us.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @DaveCW Unfortunately to echo the usual line, I'm afraid we've no plans to share whether we'll be offering FTTP in the future but I'm sure we'll let everybody know here on the forums if or when we do. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@DaveCW 

PlusNet did indeed run a Trial for several years which closed to new entrants a couple of years ago. Happily those of us on it still receive a service. However, we are constrained to a certain extent as the Trial is not integrated into back office systems.

If we have a problem you usually have to post on the Trial Forum to attract the attention of one of the few staff trained up on FTTP matters. Support staff in general know nothing about it.

I'm on 40/10 but cannot upgrade to 80/20 (in the unlikely event I wished to). I believe the  primary reason for this is I don't have a land line therefore PlusNet can't process the order.

Likewise I can't get the TV service as it requires a ADSL/VDSL service on a phone line so the system can check I receive the required speeds. For me this actually turned out a blessing as all I wanted was BT Sport which PlusNet customers can get through the BT Sport App.

Brian