Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP / Landline

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

FTTP / Landline

Sorry - a scattergun few questions that I am sure will be easily answered [as usual]

I was due to renew Contract at end of Feb and was being offered even faster Broadband. I was on Unlimited Fibre getting ave speeds [say] 14mbs as I am 1 mile plus from Cabinet. I was told that I couldnt get faster speed and even if I could I would still only get the same line speed. I was happy with that and renewed.

Days later "they" installed FTTP to "my" Pole across road. My neighbour has already gone for 900mb from BT. So

Q1 Would I be able to get say 66 mbs via FTTP now pls if I changed Contract ?

Q2 Would my landline come through that Cable ?

I ask Q2 because the Copper cable has failed again about a year on from the last failure and I have no dialling tone.I have a Ticket open for this and Engineer attended House and said fault is off premises - in fact 181 metres precisely. He suggested it would be in the same place as cable failed last time So I thought if I swapped to FTTP I would have a new Cable and avoid further problems with the copper cable ?

Q3 I have noticed by Broadband Speed has gone down to just 4mb [from 14 ish] and I am wondering if that will be due to the same fault in the Copper cable and if so will that recover when cable fixed  pls ?

Thinking that loss of speed info might be useful and help PN resolve my Ticket I added it as extra information and confused lots of people [sorry - lesson learned}

Q4 If answer to Q3 is NO could my Contract be at Fault for the lower speed ? I did renew and get confirmation that I would carry on , on exactly same deal [except I went to Landline only / no call package] but looking to see the deals that might be on offer with the new FTTP I looked at the upgrade page in My account and it lists my current service as "Umlimited Fibre" but the speed says 5 to 6 Mb which really confused me.

I was further confused after adding the speed issue to my open Question when I was told by Email that my speed was below the guaranteed speed I was promised [think it said 13.5] and that I could leave my Contract without incurring termination fees, so they must be agreeing that my Package is still for same Speed as before - that is up to 35 not 5-6 as showing now

However I dont want to leave and hopefully my questions will be easily answered. i tried to keep them simple and hopefully some or all will be and apologies some may be covered by 223128391

Cheers - appropriately named - Bamboozled

8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: FTTP / Landline

In relation to FTTP the answer is no, PN currently don’t offer it all.
It’s coming (apparently), just not announced as when.

In regards to current speed, what are the results of this?
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Bamboozled 

Your current low speed is being caused by there being a break is one of the two copper cores to your property, which is also why your phone is not working.

If you want fibre now then if you move to BT or EE and arrange it by ringing the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to let them sort it out, they will waive your Plusnet cancellation charges.

However if you can leave it a bit, Plusnet are promising to offer a FTTP service soon when I anticipate that they will offer an upgrade option.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

@dvorak thank you for reply at least I know I can't get FTTP yet and that solves Q1 and indeed Q2 is not relevant now. Read elsewhere FTTP does carry landline 

I tried the link you sent and wasn't really understanding what it was telling me other than FTTP is classed as "available" in a couple of places on the form. and is 900 speed

There was a place on form that said best speed recorded to my property was 7 on  29th of March It was below the Item VDSL if that helps you ... 

Q3 seems to be answered as well as it seems one of the copper wires must be broken .... and Engineer is coming to my place again Monday morning. Can't think why because he was adamant that my phone , master socket etc was fine and even knew the fault was 181 metres away and said the cable will be broken 

So I will have to let them do it all again 

Cheers bamboozled

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1 

Thanks for the reply ... It will seem Q3 is answered by you and hopefully (see reply to @dvorak above ) they can fix it soon .

That will also solve Q4 as well as I will be hopefully back to 14 to 18 speed soon

I really DO want to stick with Plusnet and it was interesting and helpful that they may be offering something on FTTP soon so my current speed will do till then 

Once again thanks to you both

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Bamboozled 

If (or when) you get FTTP they'll replace the current copper line from the pole to your property. It may be pure fibre which would mean you going to a Digital / VOIP phone service (if you still required one). It's possible the line could get a hybrid fibre / copper replacement.

With FTTP there are no distance restrictions so you get near to the speed you order (allowing for overheads).

If you check the link previously given you'd be looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column and Available over to the right.

Brian

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

@bmc 

Hi Brian 

I looked at the link where you suggested and to the right it says ... Available. and stage 1 

so that looks promising 

Cheers JT

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Bamboozled 

"1 Stage" simply refers to the install taking one visit (all things being well). In the early days it was a "2 Stage" process.

So you can order FTTP today if you so wish. Going to BT or EE will be free of any early termination charges so long as you let PlusNet know first.

Or you could hold on and hope that PlusNet get their internal systems sorted out in the next few months and are able to offer a product.

Brian

Edit - Re-reading the thread - the available speeds for FTTC will be shown on the Checker results. You get a high / low figure for a good and an impaired connection.

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

@bmc 

Thanks again .. Hopefully back to 14 - 17 speed next week which will do me until an FTTP might be launched 

Cheers all