cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Enabled but Fibre packages unavailable with Plusnet?

Anywho
Grafter

FTTP Enabled but Fibre packages unavailable with Plusnet?

tl;dr: If Sky will give me a discounted Fibre package why wont Plusnet?

I am lucky enough to have FTTP (yes, FTTP not FTTPoD) available to me but I'm not currently prepared to go onto a trial package that offers no discounts and only ordinary FTTC performance.

I am very interested in the ordinary Fibre packages currently on offer though - but Plusnet do not seem to want to offer me one of these?

Is it possible/likely that I can get FTTP but not get a FTTC package?

Sky seem perfectly happy to offer me one of their discounted fibre packages though.

I have been with Plusnet for more years than I care to remember and I have no real desire to move away.... but my current d/s bandwidth (rock solid @ 5.5Mb/s, very flaky at anything over 6.5) has been limiting household activities for some time now and u/s just makes uploading painful... I would really like to get a little bit more if I can.

dslchecker.bt.com confirms WBC FTTP is available on my number as a 2 stage installation with overhead feed.

homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk confirm that Ultrafast fibre is available on my exchange.

I can't seem to find anywhere that tells me if my cabinet has Fibre - I'm guessing it does not and that FTTP would be fed directly from the exchange.

I'm posting here in the hope that the problem is one of knowledge/understanding and that somebody here can tell me how to get on one of the Plusnet Fibre packages currently on offer!

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: FTTP Enabled but Fibre packages unavailable with Plusnet?

We only offer it as trial I'm afraid and we wouldn't be able to give you the same deals listed on our website.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

The DSL checker lists what is available for your telephone number so if FTTC (or VDSL) is not shown then it's FTTP or remain with ADSL.

To the best of my knowledge Sky do not offer an FTTP product (though as always this may have changed). OpenReach only list 4 providers - see https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/index.do

Select Fibre Broadband > Ultrafast Broadband > But it Now

Although they do not appear to offer discounts for signing up the PlusNet FTTP offering can be extremely good value for money in that you can, if circumstances allow, drop your phone line once on FTTP. There is a £2.50 surcharge for no PlusNet phone line (applied to all accounts, even ADSL!!!).

Brian

Anywho
Grafter

Thanks.

So you are saying if FTTC was available it would also be listed in that table on DSL Checker? As well as FTTP?

I didn't know (and I hoped that...) if FTTP was of a higher order and if FTTP was listed it might imply FTTC too!

VDSL Multicast is available? Why dont I just attach a screeny!

https://imgur.com/a/IZ410

[If I could achieve the 11.5Mbps suggested by the checker I wouldn't even be having this conversation - but if I sync at that rate I would be connected for a very very short time!]

It's not that Sky offered me a FTTP package... but when I use their online checker they offer me their usual fibre packages - so they seem to think its possible? I guess they could be fibbing?Huh

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

FTTC and FTTP are normally mutually exclusive, ti's rare to see both being offered.

This is how FTTC (VDSL) shows up for my line, note that the only FTTP available is the on demand product which is essentially a business product but in any case Plusnet don't supply it.

dslchecker.png

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

While it may happen in odd instances it is highly unusual for both FTTC & FTTP to be available at the same address. FTTC is clearly not offered. Don't know much about VDSL Multicast other than "Multicast" is a system where a high volume event is streamed on one feed to an Exchange and then distributed from there to whoever wants to watch (reduces bandwidth demand).

If you want faster speeds I'm afraid you're going to have to go with FTTP - whether with PlusNet or someone else. All I can tell you is come the end of the month when my BT phone line is cancelled I'll be paying £17.50 a month for "an up to 38" service where speed checkers have barely dropped below 37. Upload is a solid 2 though this should be changing soon to an "up to 10" service.

For information the FTTP service probably goes nowhere near the Exchange. The fibre cable is run from the nearest Internet Point of Presence to an Aggregation node which then services Distribution Points. Somewhere near you a DP will be hanging from an OpenReach pole.

Brian