cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC

matthewleggott
Grafter

FTTC

I am new to FTTC, only experience of it is at work via Zen so want to ask a few questions.
Where we are the cabs have gone in and I am told they will be live in 6 or so weeks, basically watch for the stickers on them, is this right
We are currently with PlusNet for everything and that is the way it will stay.
Can I pre order and at the moment?  Also I am currently in Market 1 area, what will I be paying?
At work we have the BTOR modem thing put in and then linked to our Draytek, could I use this http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/15133-draytek-v2760n/ as the one device?  Currently using a Draytek 2920n with a Vigor 120 so not a big issues but if I cannot use the one linked to will the 2920n be ok as have heard some are iffy with the speeds?  Also any other recommendations router wise, needs WiFi if the key thing and ideally a VPN so I can create a site to site link.
I have a static IP will that remain?
My master socket could do with moving, will the OR do this or not?  Would like it in a better location due to changes.  Willing to assist, only has to run cable, drill one hole and clip cable.
From order to install rough time scale?
Also got 2 other neighbours close by both PN what are the chances of getting all 3 in at once?  Would be looking at taking day off work to assist in transfer over and resetup of any kit as I believe a ADSL Modem Router all in one would be no good anymore?
Think that is it, know its a lot of questions but not a product I've had much experience in yet, always been cable, direct fibre, ADSL or ISDN so lots of questions.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
grm
Dabbler

Re: FTTC

My cabinet went live recently so hopefully these answers will be useful.
Our cabinet went live before the stickers ever appeared (there are still none). I was checking http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ twice a day from when it first appeared.
Cabinet was put in place on 17 Feb and it changed status on 19 Mar. Placed the order that day and it was live on 2 Apr.
Not sure you can pre-order, may be different if you're an existing PN customer though.
I have a Draytek 2830n. It appears to max out at ~40Mb/s over WiFi. I've no reason to think the 2760 would be any quicker. I've ended up buying a separate Access Point and disabling the Draytek WiFi.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: matthewleggott
Can I pre order and at the moment?  Also I am currently in Market 1 area, what will I be paying?  - no you can't preorder and as an existing customer once it goes live you should phone Customer Options - the cancellation number - and see what deal they will offer
I have a static IP will that remain? yes

My master socket could do with moving, will the OR do this or not?  Would like it in a better location due to changes.  Willing to assist, only has to run cable, drill one hole and clip cable.- you can request an extension kit when ordering

From order to install rough time scale? how long is a piece of string - it all depends on BT Openreach
Also got 2 other neighbours close by both PN what are the chances of getting all 3 in at once?  no chance normally except by a fluke although Plusnet may be able to book the three orders on the same day - this would need staff on here involvement
I hope this helps
Note these are the official prices but you would need to reduce them by £2.50 as you have the phone as well
Unlimited Fibre
    If you live in a low cost area it costs £17.49 a month, if you live outside one of these areas it costs £24.99 a month
Unlimited Fibre Extra
    If you live in a low cost area it costs £22.49 a month, if you live outside one of these areas it costs £29.99 a month

matthewleggott
Grafter

Thanks for the replies.
What about the router?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have no idea but I will be going with a Billion 8800nl when my cab goes live