cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC

jtk
Dabbler

FTTC

Seems slow speeds is a recurring theme here!
Anyway, I have a ticket no.  #93481634.
Fibre was installed last wednesday. I had to ring to have the profile changed.
Profile changed, the download speed improved but still over 30% less than estimate ( which wasn't great to start but 26 was going to be better than 5.5 ). Upload speed went down to half of previous ADSL2, which was around 1Mb. Now getting 0.5 to 0.6 .
Phoned support twice over next few days as I had no response to ticket. Second call I got cut off during line testing and support didn't call me back. Left it for a day and rang again. No one had looked at my ticket from wednesday. Phone support arranged to have BT engineer look physically at the line, as it had been damaged a few weeks ago when a tree fell on it. The line continues to be under strain from trees overhead ( rural area ).
Overhead engineer calls this morning to say that line testing okay and BT don't cut trees.
Looks like I am at a dead end.
Just for curiosity, can I get a copy of the line stats from the modem ?
As the service does not come close to expectations, what do I need to do to have it removed and get back to my ADSL2?
17 REPLIES 17
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: FTTC

Hi and welcome to the forums JTK,
I’ve done a few tests for you and confirm that the speed profile is a little disappointing, but to be fair it is within the range given to us on the availability checker.
The line test does indicate a potential fault with the line though. I’m highlighting this to the faults team for them to pick it up for you. I am a little surprised someone did a full line test with you whilst you were ringing in, more so that they didn’t call you back. I’ll find the call and feedback on this to the agents manager.
For your information I’ve put a full output of tests on your ticket. We hope to get this sorted for you now rather than switching you back to ADSL2+
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
jtk
Dabbler

Tony,
Thanks for the reply.
I haven't seen 0.5M in the upstream on any estimates!
Anyway, good to know that a) you can see a line fault and b) you are actively pursuing it. Thanks
I will be interested to see the stats, so thanks for that.
JTK
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
I was looking at the downstream rather than the up. Interestingly, the phone fault is showing as still occurring on your line. A "Battery contact" fault has therefore been passed back to Openreach for investigation.
The fault ticket has been placed in the hands of the phone fault team for you. Once this is resolved, I hope it will fix the FTTC but if it doesn't let us know here and we'll make sure the right people pick it up.
Line stats coming up (on the ticket)
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

A Battery contact fault is what i had on my line when I lost 8Mb in sync back in June, it took 3 engineer visits to find and sort my problem out then when it was sorted out I never did get my speed back so be prepared for that as well,  good luck to you. 
jtk
Dabbler

Thanks Terranova667.
Where did the fault lie in the end ?
I could live with half your speeds when it gets fixed !  Smiley
jtk
Dabbler

Line engineer out this morning. Phone down for several hours. Initial chat with him indicates there is indeed a fault ( contrary to last guy! )
Phone back on, some 3 hours later. Engineer says "there were a few faults"
I have run a couple of tests and speeds much the same.
What happens now ?  Can I get some info on the faults that were identified ?
wilcox20

Have had similar problems over several months.
Eventually had BT out _ NO fault on line. Then I decided to boot  the computer into safe mode with networking. Then I removed one program at a time doing a speed test after each unistall until dramatically from 13-20 Mbs to 52!!  and has remained stable for over six weeks now.
In my case the problem was Trusteer Rapport that many banks are encouraging people to install. If you have this installed it may be a good place to start
On reporting to my bank, they said that sometimes the software fails to "latch into windows" correctly and it might be worth a reinstall and double check. They were right  - reinstalling has had no further impact on my speed. In my case the bank made goodwill payment to me of £30!!
I still cannot quite understand as the software had been functioning perfectly on ADSL for months before the switch and for about a week after the change to fibre - then 3 months of grief!
I cannot promise that this is the answer, but offer the experience in the hope that it might help. It certainly did for me and one close friend (the problem again was Trusteer Rapport.
jtk
Dabbler

I removed Trusteer many months ago. It certainly caused issues around my PC booting up and I would not recommend installing it.
jtk
Dabbler

Another day and a half passes and a week since install.
Phoned support this morning. Was told that the issue should be resolved by the end of the day. It hasn't been.
No updates here or on the ticket and thats probably the most frustrating part!
jtk
Dabbler

Can someone update me on results of current line test?
jtk
Dabbler

Why is it, that when I ring support, my phone number is not recognised and I have to key it in every time ?
I have had BB and Phone with Plusnet for years.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jtk,
It looks like the engineer appointment is waiting to go ahead so there haven't been any updates on this to share at the moment. With regards to the support line not recognising your number, this should be working fine and should be driven by the number on the account matching the number you're calling from.
You can check and edit your contact details from hereif something isn't matching up quite right (login required).
jtk
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply.
Luke phoned this morning to arrange an engineer visit. Hopefully this one will be better than the first 2.
I will check out what number is listed there.
Thanks
jtk
Dabbler

Adam,
The numer listed on the portal is correct ! As I said above, Luke phoned me on that number, so obviously you have it on record.
Is there more than one database?
Any other thoughts ?