Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC, when can one order?

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

FTTC, when can one order?

Just a polite question if anyone can answer me, how does one find out if I can order FTTC?
For instance I am on the Warmwell exchange cabinet 3, ‘Kitz’ reports this as having FTTC ‘available’ and we were told (and are still being told) ‘The first Customers can order FTTC from October 2014’, but the exchange list I downloaded from BT Wholesale says that FTTC will be activated from 31-12-2014.
Nothing has happened for weeks now and I was just wondering who is right.
20 REPLIES 20
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: FTTC, when can one order?

The spreadsheet shows the 'planned' date and these can change significantly.  What does the DSL Checker say for you number/address?  This shows the data that all ISPs have access to determine the availability of FTTC.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I usually check here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
Edit: pwatson got in before me.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Pendragon
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies, your links show the same information as Kitz.
FTTC is ‘Available’ for my phone number, so does that mean I can place an order or would it be best to contact support before I jump the gun so to speak?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi Pendragon,
We can definitely place an order for you. It is showing as available.
What I'd suggest is contacting our Customer Options team on 08000132632 or 03301239197. They may be able to arrange a deal for you.
The DSL checker rules all. As pwatson implies, it is the most accurate way of checking whether we are able to proceed with an order or not.
Feel free to let me know how you get on.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Pendragon
Rising Star

Morning all, rang your nice Customer Support Team and the lady there did all the checks and yes we are good to go Cool
FTTC booked for next Friday, modem ordered and postage paid, upgrade to 80/20 with free evening and weekend calls and a discount for 18 months contract (well I’ve been here over 7 years so another 18 months won’t worry me).
Thanks to all for the replies, I’ll keep you updated with events (and problems if any  ;)), hope for a smooth transition, regards P.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear you managed to get everything sorted Pendragon!
Pendragon
Rising Star

So far so good the TG582n arrived today safe and well and on a Saturday as well.
If anyone from support could pass on the news to Sabahath in Customer support it would be appreciated.
Regards, P.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks a LOT for letting us know Pendragon, I'll pass that on to Sabahath right now.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Pendragon
Rising Star

You may want to move this to the Fibre section.
So an update to my installation, ADSL went off this morning around 9:40’ish and shortly thereafter the engineer turned up.
As I already had a new style faceplate and an RJ11 extension into the next room for the ADSL modem all he had to do was change the faceplate, use the RJ11 extension and swap modems then plug in the TG582n FTTC router.
Went like clockwork and we were up and running by 10:15. However a minor problem with the cabling I discovered after the guy had left (there are only 3 network ports on the TG), needed a complete power down of the whole system to reroute power cables and install a small 5 port switch. This has cause a rather large speed drop.
The original speed was 78 down and 18 up but after my ‘power outage’ downstream speed has dropped to 61 still pretty good, but I was wondering do these BT modems re-adjust their speeds if left alone?
NB: speed tests done on the same PC with a wired connection.
Otherwise a simple and trouble free transfer.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Who install your FTTC? Kellys, M.J. Quinn or Openreach?
Pendragon
Rising Star

Kellys, contracting for Openreach, nice Guy, even took his shoes off so as not to track leaves and rubbish around the house after the storms yesterday.
To answer my own question it looks like either I hit a bad test or everything is back to normal again from the last speed test.
So far pleased with the result, mind you according to the Kellys guy we were number 6 having FTTC installed in our village.
Regards P.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Forgot to mention the guy told me that separate Openreach modems and Plusnet routers are being fazed out and Openreach are starting to issue an ‘all in one’ model with 4 ports something like the Home Hub but for other providers.
He said they no longer fix the Openreach modem to a wall because he often has to go back and change them for the new type unit and it leaves unsightly wall plugs showing.
Any comment support  :-X?
Regards P.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Openreach Modem still supply with Plusnet Fibre Router. Plusnet haven't start doing all in one inbuilt VDSL router yet. The Home Hub 5 is available but don't think Openreach willing to give u one except BT customers only.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Quote from: Pendragon
separate Openreach modems and Plusnet routers are being fazed out and Openreach are starting to issue an ‘all in one’ model with 4 ports something like the Home Hub but for other providers.

I can't really say anything about this right now on Plusnet's behalf, but the guy is right. It's not long until everybody will be using all in one hubs.
Quote from: Pendragon
He said they no longer fix the Openreach modem to a wall because he often has to go back and change them for the new type unit and it leaves unsightly wall plugs showing.

Not too sure on this one. I guess it makes sense though.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet