cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC sync speed vs throuput wildly at adds

GreyAreaUK
Dabbler

FTTC sync speed vs throuput wildly at adds

My line got upgraded to FTTC last night, around 7-ish. My router (Draytek 2860 with up to date firmware) is synching at:
Down Stream : 55682Kbps / Up Stream : 16300Kbps
However, doing a couple of speed tests is showing throughput around 19-20Mpbs. Also my line profile numbers make absolutely no sense whatsoever (to me):
Estimated line speed:
74Mb (This may vary between 21Mb and 21Mb) - Checked on 2016-01-20
15:15:36
Current line speed:
80 Mb
Those numbers look downright weird to me.
Granted it's been less than 24hrs since switchover, so it may be a case of 'give it time' but could anyone comment?
(I've posted a similar question in the usenet forum)
8 REPLIES 8
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: FTTC sync speed vs throuput wildly at adds

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting your PPP session?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
GreyAreaUK
Dabbler

I reset the router entirely almost 12hrs ago, about an hour after the switch-over. It's the stable-rate numbers that look really, really odd to me though.
GreyAreaUK
Dabbler

I've now reset the router approx. once every 24hrs (although twice last night) and although my stable rate reads as 53Mbps and synch speed is 55Mbps, the best I'm getting on a speed test is approx. 30Mbps.
Any thoughts?
flamingbadger
Dabbler

Hi,
I was about to create a post about a similar thing.  I joined Plus around two weeks ago.  I received this from the Plus support team in what I assume is an automated email:
Estimated line speed 68.2Mbps to 80Mbps
Current line speed 78Mbps
But BT Openreach appear to have a rather different view (tested two days ago)
Download speed50.17 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds 40 Mbps-52.5 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 52.5 Mbps
I've been on fibre for about three years with BT Infinity and I've seen my service drop from around 76Mbps to around 50Mbps which I've put down to interference from other FTTC customers in the cabinet I'm connected to (hopefully Vectoring may sort this if it ever gets deployed).
I'd be interested to a response from Plus to see whether the email I've had from them is simply automated nonsense or whether something at the exchange end is geniunely misconfigured.
I may try to create a support case in a few days when I get time to sit in the on-hold queue and if so, will let you know.
Cheers!
fB
GreyAreaUK
Dabbler

My stable rate numbers are still looking very strange to me:
Estimated line speed:
74Mb (This may vary between 21Mb and 21Mb) - Checked on 2016-01-20 15:15:36
Current line speed:
53.6 Mb
Actual download rates (based on running speed tests from http://www.speedtest.net/ via a wired connection) seems to be about 30-ish.
Could someone please take a look at this? Username 'magrathea'.
Thank you.
GreyAreaUK
Dabbler

Reset the router twice this morning (as the result of a cable swap - Hub One phone cables are shite, or at least mine is).
Router still synching at 55484Kbps
Speed test still indicating low-30's
Stable rate from Plusnet still reading:
Estimated line speed:
74Mb (This may vary between 21Mb and 21Mb) - Checked on 2016-01-20 15:15:36
Current line speed:
53.6 Mb
Come on guys, what gives?
GreyAreaUK
Dabbler

Just to add a comment about the cable - the router I'm using is a Draytek 2860 with current firmware. I couldn't remember if the phone cable I was using was the one supplied with it or the one I used on my old Netgear router. So I thought "Aha! Let's use the phone cable supplied with the Hub One, because it looks a bit thicker that the Draytek's and might give me an increase in sync speed!"
Nope. Swapping the cable out brought my sync down from 55-ish to 47-ish. Swapping back restored it back to 55-ish.
I suspect the Hub One cable is longer, perhaps a lot longer (didn't have time to investigate, will try to do so tomorrow). And given that cable length very much plays a part in sync speed on VDSL, I find it odd that we're being supplied with sub-standard cables.
flamingbadger
Dabbler

So I thought I'd follow up on my previous posts about my speed issues in case it helps anyone else. Smiley
I phoned Plus support on the basis that my line should be capable of an 80/20 (80Mbps down/20Mbps up) service but always seemed to sync at just over 50/20Mbps.  The Plus analyst ran the usual tests and agreed that according to their records, the line should be capable of a much higher speed and they would arrange with Openreach to come and take a look.  The first Openreach engineer turned up, ran his tests and concluded that although the speed did seem a little low, the local wiring was OK and left it at that. 
Plus then contacted me to send me to advise they weren't happy with the first engineers conclusions and dispatched a second Openreach engineer.  The second engineer reached the same conclusion as the first one in that the local wiring was fine.  He reset the line profile a few times but it still synced to 50Mbps.  He then changed the filter on the master socket to a "Mark 3" just in case, said he was going to the street cabinet to take a look there and promptly disappeared never to be heard from again.
Plus again came back to me without my interaction and advised they would be sending a third Openreach engineer - by this time, I was getting worried that I was going to be presented with a large bill because the two previous engineers had found nothing and said 50Mbps was all I was going to get.  So I contacted Plus to question the value of the third engineer.  The helpdesk analyst said that Plus have to pay each time an Openreach engineer is sent and reassured me that they wouldn't keep sending them if they didn't think there was a problem so we agreed a new date and the third engineer arrived a couple of days later.
Well what a difference that made!  The third engineer (Jeff) was a complete breath of fresh air compared to the first two guys and seemed genuinely interested in the problem.  He ran the same tests as the other guys but then decided to go to the DP in the road to see what kind of speeds were received out there - the logic being that if he got the same test results out there, it was a network problem and not local wiring.  He ran the test and got the same results from the road as he did in the house so advised he was going to the cabinet to do some further investigation.  I knew however he was going to come back this time because he left the manhole cover slightly exposed (and gate guarded I should add) and disappeared.  About an hour later, he returned to say he'd done a "lift and shift" on my port in the cabinet and moved me to a new line card.  Low and behold, he performed a test from the house and we got an 80/20 sync rate!
Unfortunately, the saga didn't end there because although the sync rate was now what it should be, throughput was still 50Mbps even using the Plusnet supplied router.  He phoned the Openreach second line team who controls the knobs and dials in Plusnet's back room and they determined my line profile was being shaped by Plus to 50Mbps as well.  This was corrected and I now have a stable and FAST Internet connection.
So in conclusion:

• Thank you to Jeff from Openreach for his time and efforts!

• Thank you to Plus for the excellent support and sticking with it

• If you do have issues similar to me and Openreach do turn up, make sure they don't just test your wiring - make sure they test it from the DP as well

Regards
fB!