cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC stable for years, and slowing down every day now.

Saphira
Hooked

FTTC stable for years, and slowing down every day now.

Hi

I have had FTTC now since 2012 and its been stable for the last few years, running nicely at about 36mbps down and 11mbps up.

In the last month I have been getting drop outs every 5-10 mins for a few hours, then stable connection for a half a day to a day or so, but each week its been dropping about 2mbps on the down and 1mbps on the up.

I have spoken to techsupport online, who have said the issue is with the equipment in the house and a fault is showing.

Nothing has changed in the house, so I am unsure what would be the culprit, the only thing I can think of would be the bt modem which is from when I joined in 2012.

I am now down to 25-26mbps down and 5mbps up, with slow downs when under heavier load, like watching youtube 1080p files, or downloading windows updates, to around 5-10mbps, (this equates to about 600KB/s to 1.2MB/s) making streaming HD impossible due to buffering, and even updating one of the 4 computers in the house taking upwards of 4 hours for small patches.

I have rebooted the modem, the router, all PCs, access points, connected directly to the modem with a wired connection to my laptop, all give the same results.

Any help at this point is gratefully received.

Thanks

David (Saphira)

2 REPLIES 2
Saphira
Hooked

Re: FTTC stable for years, and slowing down every day now.

Hi and a quick update.

The connection dropped around 20-30 times per hour last night, and this morning when I woke up, I found I had been temporarily banned from the chat rooms I frequent due to the connection being so bad it was spamming joining and quitting messages.

A quick speed test on BT showed the speed was now pegged at 23mbps down and 5mbps up, and the line IP Profile has now dropped to 25mbps, latency ranges from 23msec up to 1200msec (compared to 6-18 the month before)

Real world downloading seems to max out between 600k/s and 1.5M/s, with peaks up to 2.6M/s, but quickly returning back to slower speeds again after only a few seconds, and this is from large sites all over the world, all capable of maxing out most home connections.

Can I get a line test / DLM reset please, and any other help is appreciated.

Thanks

David (Saphira)

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: FTTC stable for years, and slowing down every day now.

Hi @Saphira,

Thanks for getting in touch. I can see that my colleague has provided some info on this via a ticket here.

If switching to the test socket doesn't resolve the issue, continue with the fault I can see you've started to raise here and we'll get our suppliers to take a look at this for you.

Best wishes

Dave