Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC speed and old master socket

Racalman
Grafter
Fixes: 1

FTTC speed and old master socket

I recently switched to FTTC. I am 900 metres from the cabinet and my estimated download speed was 35 to 40 Mbps.

The line stats from my Draytek router are:

Actual Rate

Kbps

Attainable Rate

Kbps

SNR Margin

dB

Attenuation

dB

The BT Wholesale speed test gave these results:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 21.79 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20 Mbps-21.68 Mbps .

Additional Information: IP Profile for your line is - 21.68 Mbps

Is this right? It seems a lot lower than the estimate I was given.

Could this be due to the fact that I have an old LJU2 master socket? I understand that the surge suppressor can cause issues with VDSL.

If so can I expect a free upgrade to an NTE5 or will I have to pay?

Mike

OR ...

Could it be due to my estate being built in the 1970s and still having aluminium cable? How can I find out?

12 REPLIES 12
Animegav
Dabbler

Re: FTTC speed and old master socket

Scroll to the bottom of the post for the succinct answer.

When I placed my order I was given a speed estimate of 40-50mbps, my results from the Openreach ADSL checker give me a max line speed of 50.8mbps.

I get 55mbps.

For whatever reason (capacity, fault fix) I later get a max potential speed of 77mbps, I still get 55mbps. Engineer tells me 55mbps is all I'll get (I'm 490m from the cabinet)

A non- NTE5 socket could have an impact. I gained 12-15mbps when I switched mine out. Though I did also remove a few metres of internal cable wired from a junction box and connect the new socket directly to the drop wire.

Short answer- probably

If you're going to swap it out (2 wires- it's not hard) then remove as much excess cable as possible to maximize speed gains- size matters and less is more.

I don't condone people tampering with their master socket but unless you have a physical issue with your equipment on the BT end they won't replace anything and it's far cheaper to pay £10 for a MK4 box than £65+ for an "engineer"
Racalman
Grafter

Thanks for your response. As an engineer (radios, not telephones!) I would have no problem changing the socket but I like things to work properly and, when they don't, understand why.

I assume that BT has set my profile low because there is a line deficiency somewhere between the cabinet and the master socket?

Is there anything in the attached line stats that would help to diagnose the problem?

Mike

Animegav
Dabbler

Line stats are better than mine so highly unlikely.

Use the BT Wholesale ADSL checker that should provide some insight in regards to your line speed range, bridges etc
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

What does the DSL checker say for your line.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's not necessarily the type of master socket itself, the problem could be due to the presence of any extension sockets (even with nothing plugged in), and you won't be able to conveniently disconnect the extensions or fit a filtered faceplate without a modern master socket.

Racalman
Grafter

Hi Brian

dslchecker results attached.

Mike

Racalman
Grafter

ejs

The master socket is in the hall where the cable comes in to the house. From there I have a twisted pair solid copper lead about 6 metres long to an extension socket with faceplate. This connects to our cordless telephone base unit and router.

Mike

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

From the DSL results it definitely appears your speed is not what it should be. 

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Mike,

Since the problem may not be caused by your internal wiring, I'd probably recommend getting a fault reported to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange an engineer visit to further investigate.

Having said that if the problem is caused by internal wiring, there may be a £65 callout charge and the engineer would usually upgrade the master socket for quality purposes however that's not guaranteed.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Racalman
Grafter

Hi Anoush

Thanks for that. I will run one more test tomorrow with the router connected directly to the master socket. If that is still below par I will raise it as a fault.

Mike

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@Racalman

I'm a fan of the filter plate put in between the two parts of your master socket. This i-plate or vDSL face plate has worked well in the two locations I've fitted one.

Worth a try.

I am the satisfied customer....
Racalman
Grafter

Thanks markhawkin

If I ever get my master socket replaced I'll give it a go ...