cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC slower than adsl!

su4stu
Grafter

FTTC slower than adsl!

I switched from TalkTalk adsl+2 to Plusnet FTTC last Tuesday and at first was quite pleased with the speedtest results, I was getting around 33mbps and was delighted as my previous speed was around 6 mbps!  This has now dropped from anything between 2 mbps to 15 maximum, but on the whole it's around 4!  I'm really disappointed with this as I was getting faster speeds before I changed and I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have bothered.  I'm aware that the first 10 days my speed can fluctuate but surely it should be better than this? I've pasted the detalis from my account below.

Postcode:
Phone exchange:
    FOCHABERS
Estimated line speed:
    19Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-10-04 22:20:41
Current line speed:
    31.4 Mb
9 REPLIES 9
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: FTTC slower than adsl!

Hi,
I've not been able to find your account from your forum username. Can you please PM it over to one of us so that we can do some tests.
Thanks,
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
su4stu
Grafter

PM'd my account name, though it is su4stu the same as this one.  I have changed the router to a netgear n600 and it seems to have improved the speeds somewhat, but only through a wired connection.  Wireless is still pretty lame, this is a BT test done just now and as you can see it's awful!

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
1.6 Mbps

0 Mbps 29.38 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.6 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 23.5 Mbps-29.38 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 29.38 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
2.7 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 2.7Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.
If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.
AndyH
Grafter

Have you tried changing the wireless channels?
It sounds likes your issues are with your wireless network.
su4stu
Grafter

Yes I've tried that but it didn't work I'm afraid  Undecided
AndyH
Grafter

Can you try this wireless scanner http://files.metageek.net/downloads/inSSIDer-installer.msi and post the graph result?
How far are you from your router?
wilcox20

Have had similar problems over several months.
Eventually had BT out _ NO fault on line. Then I decided to boot  the computer into safe mode with networking. Then I removed one program at a time doing a speed test after each unistall until dramatically from 13-20 Mbs to 52!!  and has remained stable for over six weeks now.
In my case the problem was Trusteer Rapport that many banks are encouraging people to install. If you have this installed it may be a good place to start
On reporting to my bank, they said that sometimes the software fails to "latch into windows" correctly and it might be worth a reinstall and double check. They were right  - reinstalling has had no further impact on my speed. In my case the bank made goodwill payment to me of £30!!
I still cannot quite understand as the software had been functioning perfectly on ADSL for months before the switch and for about a week after the change to fibre - then 3 months of grief!
I cannot promise that this is the answer, but offer the experience in the hope that it might help. It certainly did for me and one close friend (the problem again was Trusteer Rapport.
eattheword
Grafter

The bank tried to get me to install Rapport a couple of years ago but it completely hobbled by otherwise perfectly functioning Macintosh that I removed it forthwith. A few Google searches later and I found that many people had had trouble with that piece of software.
su4stu
Grafter

I haven't got rapport installed in any of my devices so it can't be that.  Just off to try the wireless scanner suggested so will post the results shortly. Can't get the link to work I'm afraid and I'm not much of a techie to know how to find it otherwise. 
su4stu
Grafter

I set my TP-Link router up as a repeater as my main router is downstairs and it did seem to be upstairs I was having problems.  I have done a BT speedtest since the set-up and my speed is over 20mbps at the moment (wirelessly) upstairs.  I'll keep an eye on it and report any low speeds but hopefully that's it sorted now!  Thanks for all the suggestions  Smiley