cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC service speed alternatives

machare
Rising Star

FTTC service speed alternatives

I have applied for a new Plusnet FTTC service which I presume will be 40/10. Are there any alternatives such as 55/10 of 40/20 that I could have for the same price?  At the moment my router shows a max possible connection speed of  48945 bps. The actual downstream connection speed is 40,000 bps as I have a 40/10 service from Vodafone.

13 REPLIES 13
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

Re: FTTC service speed alternatives

As I understand it , the only options are 40/10 for unlimited fibre or 80/20 for fibre extra.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Just to mirror the above

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-package-guide/7

Our broadband service is at the centre of all our packages, whether you want broadband only, or want to package it up with Anytime Calls, YouView TV or even Plusnet Mobile. We have many different offers available to you, but at the core, these are our main broadband products:

Product Connection type Download (average) Upload (average) Usage allowance
Unlimited ADSL* 10MbΦ N/A Unlimited
Unlimited Fibre FTTC** 36Mb 9Mb Unlimited
Unlimited Fibre Extra FTTC** 66Mb 18Mb Unlimited

New customer? Check out our current offers. Already with us? Login and see if you can upgrade your package for even faster speeds.

* ADSL – Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line means that broadband signals are carried over copper lines all the way to the BT Exchange

** FTTC – Fibre To The Cabinet means that broadband signals are carried over copper lines to the roadside cabinet and then fibre to the BT Exchange, allowing for a faster and more stable data transfer rate

Φ†Based on speed available to at least 50% of customers at peak time (8-10pm). Speeds vary by location. Check your speed via ‘check availability’ on our home page.

(my bold)

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi all,

We provide 40/10 and 80/20 service but the speeds vary depending on the quality of your line, line length and also how far away you are from the local cabinet/exchange.

If you would like to discuss offers with ourself @machare please contact our Sales team directly on: 0800 432 0080

8am - 8pm Monday to Friday  
9am - 7pm Saturday  
9am - 6pm Sunday 

Kind Regards

machare
Rising Star

Thank you for the replies.  When will I be told the "minimum guaranteed speed" (MGAL) for my line which was introduced under the new Ofcom Codes of practice which began on the 1st of March?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @machare, the MGALS relevant to the account at the time of sign up will have been included on your welcome email, however I have provided a more detailed response on your account here (due to containing some account specific information).

I hope this helps but please do get back to us if you have any further queries.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
machare
Rising Star

Thank you for your response.

Apart from the name, is there any difference between an MGALS (Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed) and  a Minimum Guaranteed Speed?  Does it make any difference which I have been told that I have?

How can I ascertain whether the speed that I gets conforms to this speed?  As I understand it,  Ofcom have said that  a speed test that uses 3 simultaneous streams should be used.  

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi @machare, thanks for your response.

The new Minimum Guaranteed Speed is more realistic of the speeds expected at peak times when you're more likely to use it.

Generically speaking, if you signed up before March 1st and have an MGALS, we would still investigate speed issues as outlined by the new code.

With regards to the speed tests generally speaking we would need speedtests carried out here but if the website is having issues then we can accept alternatives

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
machare
Rising Star

Thank you. If I had signed up on or after 1st July would the Minimum Guaranteed Speed be less than the MGAL speed I was quoted in February.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yes because the two figures are worked out differently

The MGALS speed is based on the speed that your router connects to the exchange/cabinet at.

The minimum guaranteed speed is based on the throughput speed and takes into effect various different things that can affect your speeds such as peak-time slowdowns and IP overheads

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
machare
Rising Star

Thank you. So are you able to tell me what the Minimum Guaranteed Speed would be for my connection, or how I might find out.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've updated the ticket on your account with what it would be.

As advised above though as you signed up before the change to MGS on the 1st then you'd still go off your MGALS figure when raising speed issues.

The only circumstance where you would get an MGS would be if you were to recontract or move property.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
machare
Rising Star

Thank you.  It is pleasing that the difference at 0.6Mbps is so small.

AIUI the Ofcom Code of practice requires a speed test to be run from the router rather than the web interface of a connected device.  Do you have any plans to change your routers in any way to allow this to happen?  

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It's not currently possible for us to do the speedtests from the router at this moment in time and I wouldn't be able to say when we'll be in a position to do this.

As far as I'm aware the only ISP who currently has a router that can is BT

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team