cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC router optional?

Pazz
Grafter

FTTC router optional?

Just received my "fibre" router from plusnet and was surprised to see that its the EXACT same model as the router I'm currently using for ADSL2+ issued by plusnet over a year ago. I also dont see the need for it to be a router + modem combo given that we are required to use the Openreach modem.
Is the router optional? There's nothing wrong with my current router and I notice there's another "upon cancellation" fee been applied because of it and the £4.99 delivery  Undecided
EDIT: I should mention that the router model is a Thomson TG582n
27 REPLIES 27
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Router optional?

Your existing router won't work without I think different firmware and certainly a significant reconfiguration.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pazz
Grafter

It will just be functioning as a wireless access point which is not hard to configure. My ancient Netgear DG834 could do the job. The openreach modem is handling the fibre connection.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You need to reconfigure one of the LAN ports to be a WAN port and for the router to do NAT from the other ports to that one.
I don't believe you can configure an old Netgear to do that.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Nor the Technicolor without a change of firmware (I believe).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Pazz
Grafter

I'll do some testing and find out but I will be surprised if it doesn't.
In the mean time could anyone comment as to whether I could return this router to plusnet if I found it wasn't required?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Make sure you test the current router or the Netgear with two PCs at the same time to make sure you get it totally screwed up when trying to use it with no NAT in operation!
Pazz
Grafter

You're both correct about the Netgear, only accepts WAN via ADSL RJ11 port so no win there.
And yes still the problem of NAT.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

This thread discusses the FTTC firmware for the TG582n: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,104892.msg894672.html#msg894672
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Pazz
Grafter

Great find walker23. The router in question is the the very same TG582n. So I've received a TG582n to replace another TG582n  Cheesy The TG582n does have WAN over ethernet using port 4 though I notice.
Perhaps the FTTC version of the TG582n plusnet have sent may just have updated FW, as I suppose the process of updating FW might be over-complicated for the average user.
prichardson
Grafter

Re: FTTC router optional?

I've just noticed the link in the thread points to an older firmware.
We have removed the link and uploaded a more recent firmware from early June instead of late May. This can be found here.
The older one is absolutely fine for those using it, the single difference is that the new link as completed Plusnet and Technicolors quality control process, tough no changes took place between them.
The process to flash a router is quite simple, though is only available to windows users. Instructions can be found here which is applicable to the TG582n as well.
It's so simple we managed to flash over a hundred of them last week in a day Wink
Pazz
Grafter

Thanks Phil for the input.
Could you confirm then that by flashing my old TG582n, the router will work fine as an Wireless access point for FTTC?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The firmware Phil's linked is to turn it in to a wireless cable/FTTC router which can then be attached to the BT modem.
You can use it as a wireless access point only if you need that to be in a different place to your router (you then have BT modem -> Router -> WAP), but that is a totally different set of instructions.
prichardson
Grafter

Pretty much as Jelv as highlighted.
If you plan to use a TG582n as a wireless access point (which is something I do, but consistent signal rather than speed), I would recommend that you make a router with the ADSL firmware as the WAP.
It depends if you need to use the Ethernet ports as well, to extend the number of available ports you have available. If you don't need more Ethernet ports, it doesn't matter which firmware you use.
Basic considerations for use as a WAP.
1: You need to change the routers IP address, so not to let it conflict with another Technicolor in your network.
2: You need to disable DHCP, so you only have a single device performing this function
Doing this will essentially mean the unit is a wireless bridge in infrastructure mode, with your fiber router performing the DHCP functions.
Pazz
Grafter

So in summary the FTTC router is optional if you've already got a TG582n.