Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC phone line no dial tone BT won't look at fault until Monday :(

gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

FTTC phone line no dial tone BT won't look at fault until Monday :(

Yesterday evening our phone line stopped working, but FTTC broadband continued. No dial tone just dead line. Phoned BT to report fault on line and nice Indian gentleman told me that even though there are a high number of similar faults reported in my area, they will not have an engineer look at it until next Monday  Angry
Broadband speed has dropped from 30 megs to abbot 12 down and the UP speed is now only about 0.5 megs, usually about 5.
PlusNet don't seem to allow me to raise any ticket because of the phone line fault. I was hoping they might be able to put some pressure on BT to try and get some action before the weekend.
It really is desperatly poor that an engineer cannot even begin to look at a fault on their network that is affecting more than one person for 4 days. It isn't as if there is a state of emergency and the county is flooded and they are inundated with problems.  Thank goodness I have a mobile phone and a signal, because if I didn't I would not be able to get any important phone calls that are now being forwarded from my land line to my mobile. Quite what the vulnerable old people without mobiles do without a phone for 5 days I don't know.
Things have really gone downhill with BT, I remember when you could an engineer out in 15 minutes and could speak to him on a local number, not somebody reading from a script in Calcutta or wherever their call centre is now.
I suppose I should be thankful that I am getting a broadband signal at all given that we have no telephone signal at all.
Sorry for the rant, but I just can't believe how poorly customers of the BT monopoly are treated.

9 REPLIES 9
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: FTTC phone line no dial tone BT won't look at fault until Monday :(

With Plusnet not being your landline provider there is nothing they can do to help hence why you cant raise a ticket a landline issue is nothing to do with them in this case sadly it's a case of waiting for BT
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Thanks, that is what I suspected. I always wondered if I had taken the landline rental with PlusNet if it would help or hinder landline fault repairs, now I know that perhaps it would help? BT used to be on the ball with phone line repairs, they seem to take a very relaxed view of faults nowadays.
At least I have a functional broadband connection, though not up to its usual speeds especially on upload.
I will take a walk down to the green box which is half a mile away and see if they are working in it, I suspect they have just disturbed my connection, as all the wires are underground from my house to the green box and the weather has been fine.
I just wish we could move into the 21st century and get rid of copper wires, fibre all the way for broadband AND telephone should be the priority, not this halfway house FTTC which still relies on Edwardian or is it Victorian technology?
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gm4jjj
Things have really gone downhill with BT, I remember when you could an engineer out in 15 minutes
You must have a very long memory or have had a business line at the time. It has been several working days for residential lines for a long time now. I had to call BT faults several times when I first moved into my house. That was 15 years ago and they were quoting 'several working days' even then. As it happens the engineer usually attended the next day or the day after so you might also be lucky. The time they quote is usually the worse case scenario. In the meantime they will have offered to redirect all calls to your mobile for free so for most people it hardly matters.
To be honest I don't think that's at all unreasonable especially in today's world where mobile phones are ubiquitous. Line rental is expensive enough as it is without paying extra to ensure that there's always an engineer available within 24 hours.
My only complaint against BT faults these days is the 'threat' to charge you if the fault is deemed to not be their fault or they can't find it. Back when I was using them there was no such threat.
I suppose I should be thankful that I am getting a broadband signal at all given that we have no telephone signal at all.
Maybe. The two are often supplied by different equipment - FTTC certainly is - so faults often only affect one of the two.
Sorry for the rant, but I just can't believe how poorly customers of the BT monopoly are treated.
If you need faster fault resolution pay for a business line. That will usually get an engineer out within four hours inside business hours. In the meantime they have set things up (if you allowed them) so that your calls are still reaching you. As long as you have a mobile phone you're no worse off.
Update: Hmm. It looks like that's a change for the worse. It seems that BT might now only divert calls if the line is unusable or if they are late in fixing the fault.
rolya
Grafter

My phone line has been down for > 5 days (personal). I have been told it won't be looked at now until Monday also.
Having not had a line for many days now, with no impact, I do wonder if I should bother having all the extra calling options, I seem to be living in a just in case world. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is one advantage of still being with BT for the phone in these circumstances - free divert to mobile
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@gm4jjj
Unfortunately as others have stated there really isn't anything we can do as we're not your phone provider.
@rolya
A engineer is working on this as I type.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rolya
Grafter

thanks for the update Matthew
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: rolya
Having not had a line for many days now, with no impact, I do wonder if I should bother having all the extra calling options, I seem to be living in a just in case world. 
Heh, you and a lot of people. It'd be nice to have a 'data only' option for telephone lines. Unfortunately it probably wouldn't save us much money. The cost of voice provision is so low these days that I doubt if it adds up to more than a quid a month. Trouble is we don't all have good mobile reception at home. Mine was poor until I bought a booster unit.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

@Andrue Yes I do have a long memory of BT or the GPO as it was Cheesy
I suppose my line must have been so reliable for a number of years that I hadn't become aware of the new fault repair timescales, incidentally the BBC news today has a story about a whole village in Wales cut off from the outside world because of a BT landline problem, and worse, mobile phone coverage is non existent there.
My point is we seem to be be going backwards in fault response times, while with new technology we should be improving them. This is important especially for broadband faults as so much of modern day life depends on it. Not everyone has mobile phone coverage as a fallback. It is becoming as important for residential as business.
@ Oldjim thanks for that nugget. So, I am better off being with BT for line rental as I get phone line forwarding to my Mobile, absolutely necessary here.
Yes, I did have the threats of being charged if the fault was in my own premises etc. this must be very worrying for customers  who may be non technical and not understand anything about the technology and how to test their telephone at the master socket.

@everyone I appreciated your comments and of course I acknowledge that PN cannot do anything about my slow broadband until BT fix  the phone line fault, which incidentally is still there, no sign of anyone looking at the green box when I passed today.