cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC line drops

muymalestado
Grafter

FTTC line drops

Since first having the FTTC service installed short duration line drops are a continuing feature. After creating earlier Pnet questions I recall being send a graphic which showed these, and other posts in this thread show similar graphics. I am sure if that graphic software was applied to my line the drops would show.

Being a broadband user for some time I use the 'test configuration' permanently. That is I have an NTE5 faceplate on the master socket. The DSL line is plugged into the faceplate, or it is plugged into the test socket behind with a filter. Several filters have been tried in rotation.

The phone is left unplugged when we are away - as are the internet radios on our wifi.

Examining the router for time connected it is obvious when a drop has occured as that time is far less than the elapsed time since we did the phone unplugging and left the house. Of course not every away period contains a drop so it is doubly obvious when a drop has actually occured.

On another post in this thread this was sent by the Plusnet Help Team 'five days ago indicating  that such quick drops are normal.

Should I actually expect these drop as normal?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: FTTC line drops

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

From looking at the frequency of the drops over the past 30 days and as our line tests aren't finding a definitive cause of the problem, it's unlikely our suppliers will investigate further. Here's the visual graphic of your connection:

Do you notice more drops than the above?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

In addition, your line is showing to be on a 3db profile. Basically this means that the software at the exchange is trying to push as much speed to you as possible. Due to the length of your line, this might be causing the drops.

I've passed this to one of my colleagues in our faults team to request your line to be reset in the hope that the profile increases to 6db stabilising the connection. This should happen within 48-72 hours.

Can you let us know how your connection looks afterwards?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
muymalestado
Grafter

Well, several days have passed. The line speed looks about the same. The drop frequency looks about the same as well.

I have tomorrow to travel for some time so I cannot provide further analysis for some days.

Thank you Gandalf for efforts to date.

More to follow as confirmation of no (fewer) drops, or similar frequency of drops.

Phil

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems Phil.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the reset had changed the SNR target from 3db.

I'd run through the steps in the troubleshooting guide here and if you still experience issues we might need to arrange an engineer visit to further investigate.

Keep us posted when you're back from your travels, and let us know how your connection looks then.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet