Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC installation - PlusNet router wifi is appalling

redtela
Grafter

Re: FTTC installation - PlusNet router wifi is appalling

Quote from: pwatson
users try and help each other out.

Perhaps in future, you might consider gathering more information before jumping to your "clarifications and corrections" style of posting? That may potentially be of more use to other users.
Quote from: pwatson
Best of luck with your issue.

Many thanks.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: redtela
Once installed (knowing that the IP profile wouldn't allow full speed), I was curious, so I ran a speed test. 35Mbps I think it was. Not what I'm paying for, but impressive, and I'll let the profile settle before querying.

Aside from the sound advice the pwatson gave you, there is no 'settling' period for the profile. The profile is determined from the sync speed, which is rate adaptive so your line will sync as fast as it can go. If your line has an excessive number of errors, DLM can introduce banding - however this is going to be unlikely if you're already syncing at the highest rate.
g1000
Grafter

Quote from: redtela
I've just been in the shell on the Linksys to determine the chipset and probe the settings. It transpires that it's using "Afterburner" which is a variant of "Super G" on the Broadcom chipset.

But you said you repeated 39 Mbps over wifi on a phone, your laptop, your OH’s laptop, your son’s tablet and your tablet.
Super G or Afterburner only work when both AP and client share the same proprietary feature, and these are rare as hens teeth in client devices. They are also two totally different technologies from two different chipset manufacturers, one is not a variant of the other, you can’t have both in your router, Super G was developed by Atheros, Afterburner by Broadcom.
So unless you make the unbelievable claim that every single one of your devices happen to have one or other rare feature, we are left with standard 802.11g throughput and that means you have a set of impossible results. The Atheros published calculations of 802.11g-standard throughput are absolutely correct and in accordance with those published by Broadcom and any other source worth  mentioning. It is hardly a new or disputed technology, these throughputs have been calculated, published and demonstrated for well over a decade. (For completeness, 802.11-compliant standards-based HCCA/‘framebursting’ can improve TCP throughput but only to 30 Mbps and support for this is also exceedingly rare).
Best of luck.
redtela
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
there is no 'settling' period for the profile. The profile is determined from the sync speed, which is rate adaptive so your line will sync as fast as it can go. If your line has an excessive number of errors, DLM can introduce banding - however this is going to be unlikely if you're already syncing at the highest rate.

Does no-one read thread titles? Again, line speed is not the point of the thread. But still.
I trust you have seen this link: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/fibre-speed-troubleshooting.shtml
Point 4 on that page says:
Quote from: link
During the first 10 days of service, you'll probably notice slight variations in speed. As we don't (at first) know exactly how fast your line can go, your line will be tested to help us find out. The aim is to find the best balance between speed and reliability for your line. You may also get disconnected a few times (don't worry, your router should reconnect immediately).
After 10 days your line will settle down and speeds should become more consistent. You'll still see small changes occasionally but these are normal and nothing to worry about.

Perhaps that doesn't account for the speed I've been seeing. Perhaps it does. Maybe that's not done by IP profile adjustments (as was the case with ADSL lines). It's still not the point of the thread, and I'm still capable of troubleshooting line speed issues before contacting PlusNet support to query it. I'm still within the 10 day period, and more than happy to wait & see.
The point of the thread, was that I get 2-4Mbps from the PlusNet router wifi, whereas if I add a network hop, I see > 30Mbps over WiFi connections. I'm slightly confused how a "community forum for helping users" can get so bogged down on tiny parts of posts that aren't actually relevant.
redtela
Grafter

Quote from: g1000
But...

Growing slightly tired of explaining what I'm seeing in front of me when you appear to believe it's impossible. As per my last post, the speed gained from the Linksys router isn't the point of the thread. The vastly reduced speed from the PlusNet router is.
You believe it's impossible, in the spirit of being helpful, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. EDIT: Incidentally, most Broadcom chipset firmwares allow Afterburner to be toggled. Not exactly rare, but also usually not enabled by default.
Do you have any advice on how to speed up the PlusNet router?
I mean, I guess (I've not checked) I could stop it trying to do b/g/n, and only b/g... may show a speed difference, may not, but would likely reduce overall range.
Quote from: g1000
Best of luck.

Many thanks.
piattj
Dabbler

redtela, I do think you've been unnecesarily prickly when others on the forum are trying to help. A more collaborative approach would, IMHO, deliver more and better results.
piattj
Dabbler

+1 for Asus router (RT-N66U in my case). Excellent speed and reach.
x47c
Grafter

I know you are not talking about line speed..........but to repeat
There is no 10 day settling period for the FTTC service - no matter what any ISP's website may or not say.
Any such sites which claim there is a 10 day period under FTTC are WRONG.
The DLM will not intervene for the first day after the line has its first FTTC sync recorded.
After that it will intervene on a daily basis and may change the line parameters at any time thereafter both 'up' and 'down' in response to the daily conditions found on the line.
Alucidnation
Rising Star

OP---
The Plusnet router is garbage ( well known on here with a search).
Buy a different one.
Not difficult really.