Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC fault - banded speed ref Question #150354215

FIXED
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

FTTC fault - banded speed ref Question #150354215

Serious fault has occurred on my line after 3 months of excellent speeds 80/20 sync with hardly any errors. Since yesterday it has all gone to pot, several resyncs, lots of errors,  connection coming back at low speeds around 30Mbps other times recovering to 79999/19999 as it always has been.

On a couple of occasions couldn't get any sync at all for 10/15 minutes or so and at this time the phone line was quite crackly although I have had phone noise problems previously which I had assumed were E-side as they were not affecting the VDSL2 service.

Now to cap it all (literally!) This morning the line was banded at 27.4Mbps. Fault report raised ref Question #150354215

The earlier resyncs yesterday did not seem to coincide with phone line noise so I was tending to think it was a cabinet issue i.e. links to FTTC hardware which are not far as it's an all in one cab, it was also very hot yesterday and thought that might have something to do with it.

Here are the basic stats :-

# xdslcmd info --stats
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 1
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 35957 Kbps, Downstream rate = 90620 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 27400 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 26.1 16.5
Attn(dB): 12.3 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 12.6 -1.8

One strange observation while all this was going on is that G.Inp has been enabled on the upstream which is still at full speed.Smiley

I realise the fault report will have to take it's course via "your suppliers" and I hope the engineer can find a genuine fault and perform a full DLM reset that removes the banding. I have heard that there are different resets that can be done. I expect I will lose G.Inp for a while at least.

9 REPLIES 9
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: FTTC fault - banded speed ref Question #150354215

Looking here you can see a band of 13.7 to 27.4 Cool_smiley

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

Yes that's what I've got.Wink

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Bizarrely your DLM profile is showing as "0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off".

Our faults team will pick this up as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@MatthewWheeler Well the DLM profile you are seeing is wrong.Smiley

Lost sync totally all last night from around 7:15, modem saying "No signal" and as the phone line is still working for voice I am pretty sure the fault is at the cabinet.

As the broadband connection is so unreliable,  it is actually working again at the moment, I will update my ticket to request communication by land line phone or SMS only as I have no access to the web or e-mail if the broadband is down.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

An engineer visit has been arranged for tomorrow, I am confused by the fact that @MatthewWheeler stated that the line profile is still at 80Mbps max i.e not banded which it obviously is. The faults agent also insisted that it wasn't banded but couldn't give me a reason why the sync was so low. There is no logic in the modem syncing at exactly 27.4Mbps with an SNRM of 26.1dB unless is fixed to that sync speed. I also notice the GEA test result shows a sync speed lower than the actual value, this seems to happen if there are retransmissions active.

I had another connection drop around 3:30 on Saturday afternoon, the sync has fallen to exactly 25Mbps another banded value and also the upstream is now at exactly 19Mpbs so looking very banded to me.

Update, just checked the modem stats, this is not what I wanted to happen.Huh  Line resynced this morning around 9:10  Speeds back to normal 79999/20000 so definitely not banded now.Smiley What's the engineer going to do? Say no fault found and charge me? There was a definite fault last week during the very hot weather when I couldn't get the modem to sync at all. I was hoping it would stay at a poor speed until the engineer visit.Sad

To PlusNet staff my current line speed is around 25Mbps and needs updating, thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Our tests showed the profile last Friday at...

Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

I'm unable to complete a broadband test to find out the sync rate/banding today because of open activity on our suppliers systems (the activity is basically pending engineer appointment).

The connection profile on our side will update itself in due course, though it shouldn't be affecting your throughput as your service is provisioned on WBMC PSN WBC which is the new dedicated network.

Things do seem to have improved since Friday:

Intermittent faults are usually tricky to fix, especially when the sync rate jumps up and down.

Let us know if you would like to cancel the visit. We can always re-arrange if the fault re-occurs.

+Edit+

P.S. The upstream will show 19 Mb/s because it is banded at 20 Mb/s which is the maximum speed provided.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

Engineer was very thorough, checked cabinet connections & remade connections at the DP on the pole. He did a DLM reset and BT IP profile is now correct at 74.29Mbps ( it had been stuck at around 25Mbps) The sync speed is slightly lower, probably because G.Inp has been removed by the DLM reset, hopefully it will return.

@Gandalf I don't care what network I'm on, dedicated or not, the PlusNet line speed is still restricting my download throughput speed to around 24Mbps -  please can this be sorted.Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Happy to hear that.

I'm unable to complete a line test as the activity is still open with our suppliers, so we'll be a bit blind over here.

I've maxed out your connection profile now. Can you reboot or drop the PPP session and let me know how you get on?

+Edit+

@RealAleMadrid

After looking into your account a bit further, you're still connecting to the shared network, even though the account shows it provisioned on dedicated. I've updated this on the account now so it shouldn't cause confusion again.

I imagine you'll be moved to the new network in due course.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

Thanks @Gandalf speed is much better now, just want G.inp to be enabled again and I should get full sync speed.Smiley