cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC download speed dropped from 35Mb to 20Mb - why ?

idharper
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

FTTC download speed dropped from 35Mb to 20Mb - why ?

I switched over to FTTC a little while ago and regularly ran the BT wholesale speed checks and was getting 35Mb on a line it said should do 39 - which was ok with me.

However a couple of weeks ago things seems to get slower, having done a clean up on the PC and tablet I reran the checks and now am getting 20-21Mb consistently.

I have moved wifi channel to a quiet channel so less interference from neighbours, and yes I have also tried hard wiring PC to hub and rebooting the hub - still no improvement.

There is no change here with devices and with things plugged in or not.

Can someone please chek my settings and see if there is a reason its dropped by a third ?

Thanks

Ian

4 REPLIES 4
idharper
Dabbler

Re: FTTC download speed dropped from 35Mb to 20Mb - why ?

Further diagnostics at BT wholesale reports I should be acapable of 38.67 so only getting half of what I should be !!!

Ian

Capture.PNG

idharper
Dabbler

just decided to re-run the test and its got worse !!! now down to ordinary broadband speeds

Capture.PNG

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well if BT BRAS is reporting that IP Profile line. I can only assume this is a problem with Plusnet's profile not updating or has been incorrectly set; if it is not a local issue with your local network/wiring.

Is this done via Wired or Wireless? Are there no other devices running whilst doing the test? Plusnet may tell you to connect directly to the modem via PPOE to see if the router might be the cause.

If not, it's congestion on your exchange or your profile not being updated (plusnet side)

idharper
Dabbler

Wired and no other devices on network.

Just reran tests and now have 37Mb, drops to 20Mb when use wireless.