cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC *does* work for some of us, honest!

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

FTTC *does* work for some of us, honest!

With all the issues that get posted her, I think it's worth highlighting that, for many of us, FTTC actually works pretty well.

When I signed up to PlusNet, around 18 months ago, I had to start with ADSL, then quickly moved to FTTC. My line speed was initially around 65 meg. In the last 6 months, it has actually moved to over 70 meg.

My actual data throughput varies: most of the time it is very good, but occasionally there's a bit of a slowdown, caused by congestion somewhere along the line: that is normal and to be expected. But typically, even in the middle of the working day, the performance is usually very good.

The only negative is that, occasionally (and, of course happens at the most inconvenient time!) the line / router will decide that it's time to "resync my line": typically this is late on a Monday morning, a couple of hours into an online training session that I am hosting! (do others get this too? can I change the time when it wants to do the resync?)

Of course, not many of use will report that things are working just fine, so all you see here are problems, but I suspect, in reality, the problems are very much in the minority (although I fully realise that doesn't help when you are the one with the issue!!!!)

1 REPLY 1
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: FTTC *does* work for some of us, honest!

Thanks for taking the time to post, I'm glad to hear you're happy with the service.

Our tests aren't finding the cause of why your connection is dropping late mornings.

Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 74.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 19.1 Mbps
Voice Line Test Result Pass

The tests are picking up on potential interference though...

Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 11:15 to 11:30
Interference Location Unknown

Is there anything near your router that might be on a timer?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet