Did you mean: 

FTTC coming?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

FTTC coming?

For my exchange Wiltshire online says
Future deployment
This is an extremely large and complex infrastructure project which has to be undertaken in stages.
The first stage is to plan the deployment taking into account many factors, including geography, planning requirements and the location of the existing telecoms infrastructure; these factors dictate the order of the roll out. This approach will ensure the best value for money, but it does mean that we cannot deviate from how the network will be rolled out across the area, as doing so would result in a time-consuming and costly project and would ultimately reduce the number of premises we are able to deliver superfast broadband to.
Although your postcode is within the intervention area for the Wiltshire Online programme, at this stage we cannot absolutely guarantee when we can get to your particular community.
When will my postcode move from Future Deployment to the Surveying Now stage?
The deployment for 2014 has now been planned and your postcode is in the second half of our rollout (2015/16).  Every three months, the next set of communities due to be surveyed will be released; at this point we will move the affected postcodes from this stage into the survey stage. We recommend that you regularly check our postcode checker to keep abreast with progress of our rollout.

and http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ says
We're keen to bring Superfast Fibre to your area and are exploring how best to achieve that. We may deliver it as part of our commercial programme, or by working in partnership with your local authority. At the moment you can't order Superfast Fibre

Neither of them suggesting that they've got to the point of surveying.
So it's rather a surprise to find on roadworks.org:
5 Feb 2015 - 9 Feb 2015
Erect/Renew 1 PCP cabinet and base (600mm x 300mm x 1000mm),Install 3m of 3 poly ducts in Verge

and
11 Feb 2015 - 24 Feb 2015
Install 1m of 1 way poly duct in Verge,Provide 1 Provide/Recover 1 NGA Cab and base (1.5m x 0.5m)

What further notices of work should I be looking for?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
14 REPLIES 14
AndyH
Grafter

Re: FTTC coming?

Which exchange/cabinet?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

STMERE cabinet 3
AndyH
Grafter

It's a little bit strange because that exchange doesn't appear on the latest PCP mapping report or the FTTC deployment reports. Normally all exchanges are on there, irrespective of whether deployed or not. I can see Warminster is due for completion soon under BDUK GWB, but not Mere.
The only thing that I can see is what you've already found where it says "Exploring Solutions".
Those roadworks do indicate a FTTC cabinet though. Do you know if that's your cabinet from the location on roadworks.org?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It looks like there's works scheduled for all the Mere cabinets. I'm less than 50 yards from the cabinet and it's definitely mine.
AndyH
Grafter

It seems like they've got the hurry up then - with the elections coming in May, it's probably more than a coincidence. You could try speaking to the Wiltshire Online people if they have any further information or even the Openreach guys when they're doing the work.
Melancholie
Grafter

That sounds promising, congratulations. First one will be a PCP re-shell along with part of the new duct work, the other obviously the FTTC cabinet itself, and a 3rd one should appear at some point for the power connection.
I'm still second place out of the Plusnet tests in your speedwave. Sweet!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've sent an enquiry to Wiltshire on-line to see if they know what is going on.
My suspicion is that with Talk Talk available and the BT offering being 20CN only BT might be doing it early to slow down the loss of users.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Update on this: from a first inkling that something was happening at the beginning of February it went to accepting orders yesterday.
Interestingly http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ was still saying Exploring Solutions on Thursday!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Congratulations - my cab has been sitting there since the beginning of February with no sign of anything happening
I will be interested in hearing if you become an ex customer given the BT is much cheaper for you on a Market 1 exchange
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Slightly off topic question
Is it better to ask for a morning or afternoon appointment for installation
I see two scenarios
The morning appointments - when running out of time - are either carried over to the afternoon or scrapped with the afternoon appointments starting immediately
AndyH
Grafter

I think either way, you would be unlucky not to get an engineer on the time you're scheduled.
You read about a lot of missed appointments on here, but the statistics show about 1 in 20 are missed.
As for the Exploring Solutions data, this is no longer fit for purpose. OR have a separate spreadsheet now for 'Exploring Solutions' and it's updated monthly I think. The one via their Superfast site looks like it's not been updated for a very long time.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I would tend to go for morning, on the basis "I've started so I've got to finish".
Interestingly I hadn't been checking mine daily, despite having noticed the "work". A few days after all the holes were filled in the BT Wholesale checker said it was available and even the OR Superfast site agreed!
Whether it was political pressure that caused jelv's to be done sooner than expected or technical reasons (rural exchanges tend to have to be done in a particular order because of routings) I don't know. In our case, the exchange was going to be done, but not our Cab in this phase. To say that we kicked up a very large local stink would be an understatement - the LA asked BT some awkward questions, and then we heard it was going to happen. This of course I said I'll believe when I see it, and despite no info anywhere indicating work was imminent or even underway (until I saw the holes appear) it has happened!
Edit: btw OR's Superfast site said that it was "Coming Soon" for quite a while previous, even before the Cab got included!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Ah well - when it eventually comes - I will go for an afternoon appointment then I don't have to get up early  Grin Lips_are_sealed
Of course by the time it happens it may be a non engineer visit anyway - this wouldn't really bother me as I already have the new faceplate and will be buying an 8800NL router and have the new Plusnet router which can be reconfigured for fibre
AndyH
Grafter

I think Plusnet would have liked to have a self-install option by now. The problem has probably been the fact that the TG589vn hasn't passed the modem conformity tests.