cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC and working ASUS DSL N66U settings

brownteab

FTTC and working ASUS DSL N66U settings

Plusnet 40mbps FTTC. Asus DSL N66U Router Modem.Settings
Found this http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135704.0.html thread useful after having upgraded to FTTC Fibre and wanting to use my Asus DSL N66U Router Modem. Router firmware 1.0.9.7. Wanted to update this knowledge with settings that eventually I found to work on fibre, as the trail seemed to have gone cold. Apologies I haven't got links to all this, but some though not all in one place is available in the Plusnet Community forums. The screen shots on the first page of the above are mostly what I used, but I'm on a newer firmware and had to use annexe B. Read below for variations to the standard Asus DSL N66U settings:
Objective: Wanted to use the VDSL inbuilt modem on the DSL N66U - after initial use on ADSL for a year while fibre came to my locale, then to use it instead of the standard Plusnet set up.
What I learned:
1) VDSL and autodiscover wizard doesn't work, need to set BOTH DSL settings and Internet settings totally manually
2) Critical settings other than basic user id setup couldn't be found on plusnet support pages, which are geared to standard Plusnet kit only. This forum site is crucial.
3) Could get this to work with the BT supplied modem using PPoE and Ethernet passthrough, fairly easily using manual setting of WAN, Internet connection, Transfer Mode= Ethernet, and Authentication=PPoE
NB  You can't enter your Plusnet credentials into this router modem unless you set PPoE, in WAN Connection Type, as the fields are not presented to be populated otherwise.
4)  VDSL can be set up to replace the BT modem and Technicolour reouter with settings as follows
a) WAN, Internet Connection, Transfer Mode= VDSL WAN; Enable= Yes (NB as a dual modem, it helps to tell it which interface(s) to use!),
b) VLAN ID=101 (really important and not provided in plusnet standard settings)
c) PPPsettings, Username=yourownuserid@plusdsl.net; Password=yourplusnetmainpassword; PPP Authentication=CHAP
d) Administration, DSL Settings Modulation=VDSL2; Annexe=B (B/J may work, but B manually selected); VDSL Profile=17a (30a seen elsewhere in these forums, but doesn't work for me)
Notes: BT Router and Technicolour modem connect up within a couple of mins.The Asus may take longer, initally 10-15mins, but now 2 mins after power cycling.
DSL light if not lit means the DSL setting have to be set manually, if they are entered manually (Modulation=VDSL2 and user credentials) then the light comes on straight after the faceplate RJ11 is plugged in.
For first few days CRC errors were thousands a day, but now only 6-10 a day. For first 1-14 days router logs reported modem dropouts for approx 2-4 secs, as follows but pings out seemingly not affected. .
[Timeout waiting for PADO packets, then Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery, then LCP down, then LCP is allowed to come up.] Suspected some router/modem FTTC or Plusnet timer reset as it was nearly always 1hour 35mins between events. This has now ceased as of 10 days ago, and the router logs are nicely quiet! So now to other matters!
I'm not a techy and have limited time, this took me 2-3 weeks. So not sure I'll be able to answer queries arising, apologies in advance, I'm just standing on the shoulders of those have recorded in these pages before and I'm persistant with trying many option combos, and saving my router settings to my PC before and after changes.
Best regards, and good luck! Brownteab
4 REPLIES 4
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: FTTC and working ASUS DSL N66U settings

Life's too short for all this. I'll stick with my OR modem feeding my Asus RT-AC56U
wantgoodwifi

What is an OR modem? 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Openreach.

wantgoodwifi

Thank you for the reply Browni, should have known. Originally was going to buy a Asus DSL-AC68U but I see the setup is quite a chore. 

Going to try and use an Asus RT-AC68U, with OR, flashed with DD WRT, with PIA settings applied. Wish me luck.