cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Upload Speed Dropped from 10 to 1 Mbps

OldRaft
Grafter

FTTC Upload Speed Dropped from 10 to 1 Mbps

Been a PN customer for probably ten years, FTTC for a few years, speeds have been Down 40 Mbps, and Up 10 Mbps, for a long time.  Have not checked for a month or two, now speed is   40 Mbps download i.e. about the same but upload is now 1 maybe 1.1 Mbps? 

Have PN changed anything or should I be looking for a problem? 

9 REPLIES 9
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: FTTC Upload Speed Dropped from 10 to 1 Mbps

Hi @OldRaft

Thanks for highlighting this. Your line is still showing the capability of achieving well over the 10mb/s cap for Unlimited Fibre upload, so there's something amiss here.

If plugging the router into the test socket of your premises (as shown here) doesn't improve things, please raise a fault here and I'll escalate this to our suppliers for you.

Best wishes

Dave

OldRaft
Grafter

Just removed the faceplate connected filter and modem and phone line.

Tested speed

Latency 13

Down     39.9

Up         8.3  (improved from 1.1) 

ok so looks good and will replace the faceplate. As this is the main and only socket, and is new, the only difference is the faceplate (with its built in filter) there are no other sockets wired from the main socket and no other devices, Sky. alarms etc. i.e. just broadband and phone (which is a BT model) 

It is therefore either the faceplate that is faulty or someone changed the config at the exchange/green box in the street. 

OldRaft
Grafter

Faceplate back on.

Latency  11

Down     39.0

Up         8.3

Up a little slower than it used to be but essentially (a glitch or fix) it's back.

Modem shows attainable and (actual) rates of   43642 (43479)    9009 (9009)  I guess these are naked rates before any overhead. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @OldRaft,

I'm glad to hear that everything is back up and running as it should be. Hopefully this was just an anomaly and moving forward everything is fine, but if there are any further problems then please don't hesitate to let us know and we'll be more than happy to investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
OldRaft
Grafter

11th July 2019

Upload speed has dropped by half.   It never reached the 10 Mbps expected but was OK, now it has dropped to 4.8 ish, repeated checks morning and evening all the same. 

If this is faults on the line (not unknown on my phone line) what error stats do I look at? 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi OldRaft, 

I've just been testing your line and we're not seeing any errors or other obvious issues so it would be best to report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net if this is still affecting you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
OldRaft
Grafter

After a continued improvement up to 8.7 upload for a couple of weeks now (all speeds quoted from Which magazine tester) the speed dropped overnight to 4.7, then during this morning 27th July 2019 it dropped further to 1.0  (i.e. 12% of the "normal" upload speed)   Download was around the same as before   38 to 39.

Looked at my separate router Synology 2600ac logs there was a reset in the very early morning, this is apparently normal for Dynamic Line Management (DLM) done overnight (ish) to avoid disruption to users) 

With upload at 1.0  I made a soft reset on the Billion modem, upload speed (attainable rate) initially back to 8800 but after a minute or two stats screen went blank  and Status went from "Up"   to  "Initialising"  (assume the exchange did this automatically) upload speed then dropped to 2800 ish and SNR margin....  

from  Down 6.4  dB           Up  6.0 dB

to      Down 6.5  dB            Up 9.2  dB

Speeds  now sitting at   39  and  2.7 (Which figures again) 

Connection is still filter direct in test socket under face plate where it has been since the start of this post .  As before there are no other connections to the phone line (which would be disconnected anyway with the face plate off) 

============

All other things e.g. anything that could cause interference either completely removed or at least moved away so this remains the same since this post started.  Day to day the upload has moved from a steady 8.4 to 8.7.

A quiet line test (Call 17070 and use a WIRED phone) albeit through the filter and with broadband connected {didn't want yet another reset to upset DLM} was no noise at all.  Should this test be made direct to the socket under the face plate? 

Yet another factor, the line which has been bad for at least twenty five years (everything from telegraph pole to my home phone replaced during this time) was last found to be faulty when an Openreach guy was in the manhole next to the telegraph pole and suddenly our phone went crackly yet again.  Reported this and the fix, moving to a different twisted pair (original phone lines have been in since 1940) seemed to have at last fixed this for good.

It has been very dry here for a couple of weeks (during which the upload speed has remained constant from day to day)  but last night it started raining about 2200 Friday and is still raining now at 1348 Saturday, maybe these old underground lines from the pole outside to the green box nearly half a mile away get wet? 

I cancelled the last Openreach visit as the line had been fine for days and I put the reduce in upload speed down to interference from something at home. It had reset from    0.9 to 8.4    and stayed there and I didn't want to incur a charge for something at home having caused the problem.

Other than waiting for a few dry days and then resetting the modem to see if the speed increases and holds I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

PS.    The comprehensive stats attached to my last support ticket by PN suggested noise was the problem.  Can the ISP detect noise on the house side of the master socket ? 

OldRaft
Grafter

Needed to change the RJ11 cable the phone socket to modem one to a screened twisted pair (home made as most adverts don't say HOW they achieve "HIGH SPEED" .......... cost if you already have the RJ45/RJ11 crimping tool is pennies) did this last night and speeds back to 38 or 39 Download,  8.2 ish Upload, and they remain there this morning.

The supplied RJ11 wasn't twisted or screened.

Allowing for not making repeated disconnections just disconnecting the RJ11 for a few seconds and not powering off/on anything this seems to be a better way to reset the speeds than even a soft reset of the modem. 

Some reference to CN20  and CN21 here as reset is done differently. 

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @OldRaft,

Thanks for letting us know you have some sort of fix. I can see your connection dropped this morning but that's because of an MSO in your area (which the contact centre advised of on the phone this morning). Unfortunately that's not due to be resolved until 8:40pm tonight by the looks of it so it makes it a tad difficult at the moment for us to run testing on your line.