Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - Stability Options (Nov 2019)

Highlighted
MarcusJClifford
Dabbler

FTTC - Stability Options (Nov 2019)

Hi,

I currently have an ADSL2+ connection with PlusNet.

It is a good line, and I am on a 3 db target without interleaving currently. 

However, due to my line having a 1.8 KM overhead stretch it is very vulnerable to atmospheric / radio / interference. I accept that is just part and parcel of the frequencies UK broadband works on over copper.

What I do to prevent connections drops is I adjust the SNR ration manually in my Billion modem to give me a 9 db target which I have analysed to give me a totally stable connection that does not drop. Stability is key to me - much more than outright speed.

From researching it seems that with FTTC connection I will not be able to manually adjust my SNR setting any more and will be entirely dependent on what is set by the BT hardware at the cabinet. 

I also read about three "stability profiles" that FTTC connections can be put on, but many of these articles are quite old.

As of now (November 2019) what options do we (via Plusnet) have for ensuring the stability of our lines is as we want it - i.e. sacrificing speed for stability? 

The answer to this will feed directly into my decision as to upgrade to FTTC or stick with ADSL2+ where I can control things.

Thanks in advance,

Marcus

1 REPLY 1
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 290

Re: FTTC - Stability Options (Nov 2019)

Thanks for your post @MarcusJClifford

The options available to us in terms of stability basically set the points at which DLM intervene on your line.

By default, you'll be put on the standard profile which aims for the perfect mix between speed and stability

There's the 'Stable' profile which aims to keep the connection stable no matter what and as a result DLM is more aggressive on this line to do that.

Finally, there's the 'Speed' profile which aims to give you the fastest speeds at the risk of more drops as DLM is less likely to restrict the speeds when line problems occur.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team