cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Speed Drop

rayatkin

FTTC Speed Drop

I joined plusnet on 5/1/2015 having signed up for FTTC. The estimated line speed provided at the time was 38MB.
Using thinkbroadband speed test, Initially I was getting downstream  around 37mb and upstream  around 8mb although at times the upstream was as high as 10..
By the 15/1 (10 days in) I was getting down around 35mb and around 7 up.
Since mid Feb I am getting around 24.5 down and around 5.5 up.
Should I be expecting his sort of fall off when my original speed estimate was 38.
All these speed tests have been taken using thinkbroadband and I have a log of them all if that would help
I have logged a call reference number: 99974185  with the following response

Thank you for getting back in touch. Your recent speed tests show your speeds are within estimates for your cabinet which is up to 30mbps for the downstream and 5mbps for the upstream, if the speeds have been higher then more than likely it due to less circuits being connected to your cabinet at the time however the more circuits connected then the speeds will go down to what BT have set as your estimates to be which is 30mbps and 5mbps respectively and this is the reason we cannot progress the fault to our suppliers, apologies for any inconvenience caused.
I am concerned that if my speed can drop from 37 to 24.5 in 6 weeks where I will be in a years time.
The BT FTTC availability checker at time of service provision showed FTTC Range A (Clean) 38.3 30 7.8 6.
Today is shows FTTC Range A (Clean) 37.7 29.3 7.5 5.7
So how are plusnet saying that BT have set as your estimates to be which is 30mbps and 5mbps respectively and this is the reason we cannot progress the fault to our suppliers.
Can you offer any help or advice please?
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) All caps title edited as per forum rule.

5 REPLIES 5
sjptd
Grafter

Re: FTTC Speed Drop

Are you running wired or wireless.  Wireless issues could be the cause.
Try running the speedtest at  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and after the test choose ‘Further Diagnostics’ and post the speeds and the profiles that this gives.  That will give more of an idea of exactly where the issue may be.
rayatkin

speedtest results attched
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

It looks like DLM has took action on your line which has brought the speeds down.
There's a number of reasons why this could have happened.
I have no issues with sending out a engineer for you to investigate but I do need to make you aware that there's a chance the speeds have dropped due to more people moving onto FTTC in your area.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rayatkin

Matthew the original response on the 4th March to the call 99974185 was as follows:
Dear Mr Atkin,
Thank you for your patience.
After running tests on your line today I have found a setting on your line that is affecting your speeds. I have now raised this to BT as a fault and they will now investigate and rectify this issue.
We will monitor the progress of this fault and update you after 72 hours.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance..
Kind regards,
[removed]

The next response on Fri evening 6/3 was as follows
Dear Mr Atkin,
Your recent speed tests show your speeds are within estimates for your cabinet which is up to 30mbps for the downstream and 5mbps for the upstream, if the speeds have been higher then more than likely it due to less circuits being connected to your cabinet at the time however the more circuits connected then the speeds will go down to what BT have set as your estimates to be which is 30mbps and 5mbps respectively and this is the reason we cannot progress the fault to our suppliers, apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Kind regards,
[removed]
If my speed is to drop this far in a matter of a few weeks then where will I be in another 6 months?
At this moment I am within the 90 day window and can walk. Whilst I don't wish to go that way, neither do I want to be stuck with a service for 18 months that might prove to be little better than my previous one.
I need PlusNet to make reasonable efforts to honour the 38MB that I was quoted. I appreciate that cross talk may mean my speed reduces but surely not by more than 10mbps in a matter of days?  If it does then I question the value of FTTC as another 2 drops of that magnitude and I would have been better staying on ADSL.
I would like to know the outcome of Katie's escalation to BT and what they have come up with and not just be told that nothing can be done.
Katie's interaction with BT amongst other things suggests that cross talk has not been detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected.
There is nothing in the call to suggest that BT have responded in any way so I do not understand [mremoved] response.
I am happy for an engineer to be sent out but would first like to know what BT have come up with following Katie's escalation to them
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim): Staff name removed as per the Forum Rule.]

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re the 90 day window
The BT FTTC availability checker at time of service provision showed FTTC Range A (Clean)  38.3  30  7.8  6.

What did it say about impacted as it certainly isn't (or shouldn't be)  normal to quote the maximum clean speed as a single figure but the range which should include the impacted range
This is the basic explanation for the second response